This Kiss (Faith Hill song)
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009)|
|Single by Faith Hill|
|from the album Faith|
|Released||March 3, 1998|
|Length||3:17 (Album Version)
3:16 (Pop Remix)
|Writer(s)||Beth Nielsen Chapman, Robin Lerner, Annie Roboff|
|Producer||Faith Hill and Byron Gallimore|
|Faith Hill singles chronology|
"This Kiss" is a song written by Beth Nielsen Chapman, Robin Lerner and Annie Roboff, and recorded by American country music singer Faith Hill. It was released on March 10, 1998 as the first single from her album Faith. The song became a crossover single, reaching #1 on the U.S. and Canadian country charts, in addition to reaching Top 10 on the US pop and Adult Contemporary charts, as well as Top Ten in Australia and Top 20 in the United Kingdom.
Track listing 
- This Kiss [Album Version] 3:18
- Better Days [Album Version] 3:36
UK Vinyl, 12", Promo
- A This Kiss (The Almighty Mix)
- B This Kiss (The Original Mix)
- This Kiss [Radio Version] 3:18
- Somebody Stand By Me5:50
- This Kiss [Mr. Mig Mix] 3:47
"This Kiss" is an up-tempo song where the female narrator expresses the joys of being in love through the act of her lover's kiss.
Music video 
A video was shot to accompany the song, featuring Hill in a colorful fantasy-like sequence. She was featured swinging on a nectarine, jumping from flower to flower, and riding flying bees and butterflies. In her CMT Video Bio, Faith revealed that clothing she tried on and approved for the video just days prior to the shoot, was already too small because of her pregnancy when she arrived on set.
Hill was pregnant with her second daughter Maggie at the time and she was forced to alter her costuming for the video as a result. The video is notable for its extensive use of CGI technology, and won numerous awards for its creativity. A few months after the video's release, Faith (who was further along in her pregnancy by then) performed the song live at the 1998 CMA awards while dancing in a giant flower in the center of the stage, as a tribute.
Use in media 
"This Kiss" also became the soundtrack for the 1998 movie Practical Magic. Hill performed the song at the VH1 Divas Live 1999 show. The song also scored Hill the Video Of The Year awards at the 1998 Country Music Association awards.
The following musicians perform on this track:
- Mike Brignardello – bass guitar
- Larry Byrom – acoustic guitar
- Beth Nielsen Chapman – background vocals
- Glen Duncan – fiddle
- Sonny Garrish – steel guitar
- Jeff King – electric guitar
- Brent Mason – electric guitar
- Steve Nathan – keyboards
- Chris Rodriguez – background vocals
- Lonnie Wilson – drums
- Glenn Worf – bass guitar
Chart positions 
"This Kiss" became her fourth solo Number One, and fifth overall, on both the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) charts and Canadian RPM Country Tracks charts. The song was also a crossover hit, reaching #7 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #3 on the Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks charts, her first entry on the latter chart. In addition, it reached #24 on the Canadian pop charts and #2 on the Canadian AC charts.
It also saw significant chart action outside North America, reaching #13 on the UK Singles Chart, #4 on the Australian Singles Chart and #52 on the German Singles Chart. This was the first time in her career that Hill had international success with a hit.
Peak positions 
End of year charts 
- Faith (CD booklet). Warner Bros. Records. 1998. 9 46790-2.
- "Australian-charts.com – Faith Hill – This Kiss". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Hung Medien.
- "Faith Hill – This Kiss – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- "Top Singles - Volume 68, No. 5 October 26, 1998". RPM. Retrieved 23 August 2010.
- "Country Singles - Volume 67, No. 5 April 27, 1998". RPM. Retrieved 23 August 2010.
- "Adult Contemporary Singles - Volume 68, No. 5 October 26, 1998". RPM. Retrieved 23 August 2010.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Faith Hill – This Kiss" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100. Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Faith Hill – This Kiss". Singles Top 60. Hung Medien.
- "Faith Hill" UK Singles Chart. Official Charts Company.
- "Faith Hill discography (Billboard chart history)". Billboard. allmusic. Retrieved August 23, 2010.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1998". Retrieved 2010-08-28.
"Two Piña Coladas"
by Garth Brooks
|Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks number-one single
May 16-May 30, 1998
"I Just Want to Dance with You"
by George Strait
"You're Still the One"
by Shania Twain
|RPM Country Tracks number-one single
April 20-April 27, 1998
by Jo Dee Messina