This Town Needs Guns
|Genres||indie rock, math rock, emo|
|Labels||Big Scary Monsters, Sargent House (US)|
|Past members||Jamie Cooper
TTNG (previously known as "This Town Needs Guns") are a math rock band originating from Oxford in the United Kingdom. They were formed in 2004, and are currently signed to the American label Sargent House Records.
The band formed in 2004 in Oxford. The original lineup consisted of Stuart Smith on rhythm guitar and vocals, Tim Collis on lead guitar, Simon Thompson on Drums and Ian Lewis on Bass. Ian and Simon left the band in 2005, to be replaced by Dan Adams on bass (replaced by Jamie Cooper after the recording of Animals in 2008) and Matt Bennington on drums (replaced by Chris Collis, brother of guitarist Tim, in 2006). In earlier careers, bassist Jamie Cooper had worked as a graphic designer, drummer Chris Collis had been a librarian at the University of Oxford, guitarist Tim Collis was a primary school teacher, and lead vocalist Stuart Smith worked building websites for a publisher. On May 11, 2011, it was announced on This Town Needs Guns' website that lead singer Stuart Smith would be leaving the band to start a family, and that he would be replaced by Pennines' singer and guitarist Henry Tremain. Bassist Jamie Cooper also left the band in late 2011 to focus on a career in graphic design. Tremain has since taken over on bass guitar duties, converting the band into a power trio.
Musical style and influences
Over the years the band's musical style has progressed and changed, although the focal point of their style has been the guitar work of Tim Collis interspersed with, at points, highly complex drumming and sparse, melodic bass. Early releases however, featured more distorted chord progressions, as well as a strong focus on the interlinking melodies of both Collis and Smith's guitars. More recently however, the band's music has become more technical; making more use of asymmetrical time signatures and complex accenting between guitar and drums, plus an abandonment of distortion and guitar effects, giving way to more complex melodies. The Sydney Morning Herald describes the band's music as having "intricate pop guitar work, with a touch of jazz and Spanish influences".
With the release of 184.108.40.206.0 the band announced that they would be calling themselves TTNG. They stated that the name was ironic because guns are hardly present in their hometown of Oxford, and the UK in general. Now that the band is more known around the world, the name is no longer clearly ironic. Moreover, in light of their increased international popularity, the band seeks to separate their integrity from any violent implications, especially given many of the tragic shootings that have occurred in The United States and elsewhere in the world.
- Animals (BSM - October 2008, Sargent House - January 2009)
- 220.127.116.11.0 (Sargent House - January 2013)
- First demo (2004)
- This Town Needs Guns (Yellow Ghost - 2008, Rallye - 2008)
- Split CD with Cats and Cats and Cats (BSM - 2007)
- Adventure, Stamina & Anger (Sargent House - 2011)
- Pig (Single Split with Pennines) (BSM - 2008)
- And I'll Tell You For Why... (BSM - 2007)
- Hippy Jam Fest (BSM - 2006)
- Henry Tremain - lead vocals, bass (2012-present), guitar (2011)
- Tim Collis - guitar (2004-present)
- Chris Collis - drums, percussion (2006-present)
- Jamie Cooper - bass, backing vocals (2008-2012)
- Stuart Smith - lead vocals, guitar (2004-2011)
- Dan Adams - bass, trumpet (2005-2008)
- Jody Prewitt - piano, guitar (2008, contributed with additional guitars and piano on Animals)
- Matt Bennington - drums (2005-2006)
- Simon Thompson - drums (2004-2005)
- Ian Lewis - bass (2004-2005)
- Solomon, Blake (October 12, 2008). "This Town Needs Guns – Interview", AbsolutePunk. Retrieved on 2009-09-28.
- "Listen to 'Cat Fantastic'". The Four Oh Five.
- Hassett, Sebastian (July 25, 2009). "Pass the sugar", The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved on 2009-09-28.
- Yates, Ben (September 2008). "DiScover: This Town Needs Guns", Drowned in Sound. Retrieved on 2008-12-27.