This Woman and This Man
|"This Woman And This Man"|
|Single by Clay Walker|
|from the album If I Could Make a Living|
|B-side||Lose Your Memory|
|Released||January 9, 1995|
|Clay Walker singles chronology|
"This Woman And This Man" is the title of a song written by Jeff Pennig and Michael Lunn, and recorded by American country music singer Clay Walker. It was released in January 1995 as the second single from his album If I Could Make a Living. The song reached the top of the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart.
Larry Flick of Billboard gave the song a positive review writing "Walker has never sounded better than he does on this midtempo tale of a frustrating relationship. It is nice to see that even with all his success Walker intends to grow into that hat." Mario Tarradell of The Dallas Morning News wrote, Not only is it the best vocal performance by Mr. Walker thus far, it's the classiest piece of music he's ever recorded. Mario Tarradell later wrote, "This Woman and This Man, his biggest chart single yet, is a smooth, melodic ballad with a new twist on the age-old struggle to keep an ailing relationship beating."
Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe listed "This Woman and This Man" as the 147th best country single of the 1990s and wrote, "Against a pleading melody, Walker sings of a man who's trying desperately to make his other half understand that there's still a chance to save their relationship. That he feels the only way he can communicate this is by stripping the situation down to an anonymous woman and man is heartbreaking."
There was a music video for this song, directed by Bill Young. It shows Walker and his lover at a meeting. There, his lover is seeming to forget about him. He eventually leaves angry at her. Then his lover goes after him, and she comforts him. It also shows Walker in an old black and white theme with a woman and a man.
"This Woman and This Man" debuted at number 53 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of January 14, 1995. The song was also the first country single on the Giant label to remain at No. 1 for two consecutive weeks.
"You Can't Make a Heart Love Somebody"
by George Strait
|Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks
March 18, 1995-March 25, 1995
"Thinkin' About You"
by Trisha Yearwood
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Tarradell, Mario. The Dallas Morning News Honky-tonk rigors prepared Texas singer for trek to the top. (March 24, 1995)
- Flick, Larry. "Single reviews: Country." Billboard 107.2 (1995): 45. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 14 Apr. 2011.
- Tarradell, Mario Dallas Morning News A country critic's take on a ubiquitous eight (23 February 1995)
- Coyne, Kevin John Country Universe 400 Greatest Singles of the Nineties: #150-#126 August 9, 2010
- Jensen, Wade. "Country corner." Billboard 107.12 (1995): 35. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 18 May 2011.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 9086." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. March 27, 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- "Clay Walker Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Clay Walker.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1995". RPM. December 18, 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- "Best of 1995: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.