This is Music
|This Is Music|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original run||November 29, 1951– October 9, 1952|
This Is Music is an American music television series which was broadcast on the DuMont Television Network.
This Is Music was broadcast live from Chicago, and hosted by Alexander Gray. It was only one of several DuMont Network series to be broadcast from Chicago. Others included The Al Morgan Show, Concert Tonight, Chicagoland Mystery Players, Music From Chicago, They Stand Accused, The Music Show, Windy City Jamboree, and the Emmy-nominated game show Down You Go. Each of these series were broadcast from DuMont affiliate WGN-TV over the DuMont Network during the early 1950s.
Due to the large number of musical series broadcast from WGN-TV during the early years of television, it is not exactly clear which performers appeared regularly on This Is Music, and kinescope recordings do not exist for most DuMont Network series. According to McNeil (1996), regulars included Colin Male and Alexander Gray. According to Brooks and Marsh (2007), the series was hosted by Alexander Gray, and regulars included Nancy Carr, Bruce Foote, Lucille Reed, Jackie Van, Jacqueline James, Bill Snary and the series featured the Robert Trendler Orchestra.
- The DuMont series ran from November 1951 to October 1952, and aired on Thursday nights at 8pm (ET) during most of its run, but changed to 10pm during the summer of 1952.
- The DuMont show is not to be confused with an ABC Television program with the same title (This Is Music, 1958–1959), or the similarly named syndicated program This Is Your Music (1955).
- List of programs broadcast by the DuMont Television Network
- List of surviving DuMont Television Network broadcasts
- 1951-52 United States network television schedule
- The Music Show
- Music From Chicago
- Concert Tonight
- David Weinstein, The Forgotten Network: DuMont and the Birth of American Television (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2004) ISBN 1-59213-245-6
- Alex McNeil, Total Television, Fourth edition (New York: Penguin Books, 1980) ISBN 0-14-024916-8
- Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network TV Shows, Third edition (New York: Ballantine Books, 1964) ISBN 0-345-31864-1