Thomas, West Virginia
|Thomas, West Virginia|
East Avenue in Thomas in 2006
Location of Thomas, West Virginia
|• Total||4.51 sq mi (11.68 km2)|
|• Land||4.46 sq mi (11.55 km2)|
|• Water||0.05 sq mi (0.13 km2)|
|Elevation||3,035 ft (925 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||567|
|• Density||131.4/sq mi (50.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1555802|
The climate in this area has mild differences between highs and lows, and there is adequate rainfall year round. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Thomas has a marine west coast climate, abbreviated "Cfb" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2010, there were 586 people, 253 households, and 130 families residing in the city. The population density was 131.4 inhabitants per square mile (50.7 /km2). There were 345 housing units at an average density of 77.4 per square mile (29.9 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 99.5% White, 0.2% Native American, and 0.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.3% of the population.
There were 253 households of which 17.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.2% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.3% had a male householder with no wife present, and 48.6% were non-families. 42.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.95 and the average family size was 2.62.
The median age in the city was 56.6 years. 11.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.4% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 19.2% were from 25 to 44; 28.8% were from 45 to 64; and 35.2% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 46.8% male and 53.2% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 452 people, 224 households, and 127 families residing in the city. The population density was 753.6 people per square mile (290.9/km²). There were 280 housing units at an average density of 466.8 per square mile (180.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.67% White, and 1.33% from two or more races.
There were 224 households out of which 16.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.0% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.9% were non-families. 39.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 23.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.02 and the average family size was 2.69.
In the city the population was spread out with 15.0% under the age of 18, 5.5% from 18 to 24, 24.1% from 25 to 44, 33.8% from 45 to 64, and 21.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48 years. For every 100 females there were 85.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,443, and the median income for a family was $25,417. Males had a median income of $27,188 versus $14,886 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,918. About 13.8% of families and 13.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.1% of those under age 18 and 11.5% of those age 65 or over.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Kenny, Hamill (1945). West Virginia Place Names: Their Origin and Meaning, Including the Nomenclature of the Streams and Mountains. Piedmont, West Virginia: The Place Name Press. p. 624.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 10/03/11 through 10/07/11. National Park Service. 2012-11-14.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- DeLorme (1997). West Virginia Atlas & Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. ISBN 0-89933-246-3.
- Climate Summary for Thomas, West Virginia