Thomas A. DeGise
|Thomas A. DeGise|
|Hudson County Executive|
|Preceded by||Robert C. Janiszewski|
|Jersey City Municipal Council President|
|Born||1951 (age 62–63)
Jersey City, New Jersey
|Residence||Jersey City, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||Saint Peter's University|
Thomas A. DeGise is an American Democratic Party politician who serves as the County Executive of Hudson County, New Jersey. As County Executive, DeGise administers county business, together with the Board of Chosen Freeholders acting in a legislative role.
Thomas DeGise was born and raised in Jersey City. He earned his bachelors degree in Political Science from Saint Peter's College in 1973. He worked as teacher and administrator in the Jersey City Schools from 1975, and served as a job placement counselor at Henry Snyder High School before retiring.
Elected office and advisory board
Prior to serving as County Executive, Mr. DeGise was Jersey City, New Jersey's longest serving Municipal Council President, holding that office from 1993 to 2001. Mr. DeGise entered public life as a community leader during the 1980s, founding the New #28 School Neighborhood Association and eventually chairing the Heights Coalition of Neighborhood Associations (HCNA), a group dedicated to improving quality of life in Heights Section of Jersey City.
Following the resignation of Robert C. Janiszewski as County Executive in September 2001, DeGise took office after winning a special election in November 2002, one in which he garnered 77 percent of the vote. On his first day in office, he submitted legislation to the Board of Chosen Freeholders to create the first ever Ethics Oversight Board for Hudson County government. He was re-elected in 2003, 2007 and 2011. His current term will expire on December 31, 2015.
- "DeGise Elected Chairman" (Press release). NJTPA. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- Hudson County Executive Thomas DeGise and Democrats sweep county races: new face as register; incumbent freeholders win, only 2 faced challengers Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal Email the author | Follow on Twitter on November 09, 2011
- County Executive page on Hudson County web site
- North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority profile
- [Torres, Augustin (January 14, 2012). "These 25-plus people dominate Hudson's political world: Political Insider". The Jwrsey Journal.
Robert C. Janiszewski
Hudson County, New Jersey
2002 – present