Thomas Allen (Wisconsin politician)
Thomas Scott Allen (July 26, 1825–December 12, 1905) was a politician from Mineral Point, Wisconsin who also served as a colonel in the Union Army during the American Civil War. He was nominated and confirmed for appointment to the brevet grade of brigadier general of volunteers in 1866.
He served in the Wisconsin State Assembly in 1857, replacing Democrat Richard M. Smith in representing the new 2nd Iowa County district (Mineral Point, Mifflin, Linden and Waldwick). He was succeeded by fellow Republican Levi Sterling (Sterling, like Smith, was also from Mineral Point).
During the American Civil War, Allen served as a colonel in the 5th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment. He was mustered out of the volunteer service on August 2, 1864. On January 13, 1866, President Andrew Johnson nominated Allen for appointment to the grade of brevet brigadier general of volunteers to rank from March 13, 1865, and the United States Senate confirmed the appointment on March 12, 1866.
After the war
- Eicher, John H., and David J. Eicher, Civil War High Commands. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2001. ISBN 0-8047-3641-3. p. 102.
- Hunt, Roger D. and Jack R. Brown, Brevet Brigadier Generals in Blue. Gaithersburg, MD: Olde Soldier Books, Inc., 1990. ISBN 1-56013-002-4. p, 12
- Crane, L. H. D., ed. A Manual of Customs, Precedents, and Forms, in Use in the Assembly of the State of Wisconsin: Together with the Rules, the Apportionment, and Other Lists and Tables for Reference, with Indices Madison: James Ross, State Printer, 1859; p. 60
- Eicher, 2001, p. 739.
- Anderson, William J.; William A. Anderson (ed.) (1929). The Wisconsin blue book. Madison, Wisconsin: Democrat Printing Company. p. 144. Retrieved 2008-08-23.
- Barish, Lawrence S. (ed.) (July 2007). "Chapter 8: Statistical Information on Wisconsin". State of Wisconsin Blue Book 2007–2008 (PDF). Madison, Wisconsin: Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau. p. 721. ISBN 978-0-9752820-2-1. Retrieved 2008-08-23.
- Eicher, John H., and David J. Eicher, Civil War High Commands. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2001. ISBN 0-8047-3641-3.
- Hunt, Roger D. and Jack R. Brown, Brevet Brigadier Generals in Blue. Gaithersburg, MD: Olde Soldier Books, Inc., 1990. ISBN 1-56013-002-4.
|Secretary of State of Wisconsin