Thomas Strong (bishop)
|Thomas Banks Strong|
|Vice-Chancellor of the University of Oxford|
|Term||1913 – 1917|
|Predecessor||Charles Buller Heberden|
|Successor||Herbert Edward Douglas Blakiston|
|Born||24 October 1861|
|Died||8 July 1944(aged 82)|
|Alma mater||Christ Church, Oxford|
|Religion||Church of England|
Thomas Banks Strong GBE, BD (24 October 1861 – 8 July 1944) was an English theologian who was Bishop of Ripon and Oxford. He was also Dean of Christ Church, Oxford and served as Vice-Chancellor of Oxford University during the First World War.
Thomas Strong was educated at Westminster School and Christ Church, Oxford, where he received a 2nd class degree in Literae Humaniores in 1883. At Christ Church, Strong was successively Lecturer (1884), Student (1888), Censor (1892), and then Dean (1901–1920). He became a deacon in 1885, a priest in 1886, then Bishop of Ripon (1920–1925) and Bishop of Oxford (1925–1937).
Strong produced a number of theological publications. He became a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire (GBE) in 1918. He was buried at Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford, where there is a memorial stone with a Latin inscription.
Selected books 
- Christian Ethics: Eight Lectures (Longmans, Green and Co., 1896)
- A Manual of Theology (1903)
- God and the Individual (1903; Kessinger Publishing Company, 2008, ISBN 978-1-4368-5986-8)
- Lectures on the Method of Science (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906)
- Visitation Charge of the Bishop of Oxford at the Diocesan Visitation 1931 (Oxford University Press, 1931)
- Ellie Clewlow, Strong, Thomas Banks (1861–1944), Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, September 2004. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/36356
- "Previous Vice-Chancellors". University of Oxford, UK. Retrieved July 13, 2011.
- "Strong, Thomas Banks". The Concise Dictionary of National Biography. Volume III: N–Z. Oxford University Press. 1995. pp. 1887–1888.
- The London Gazette: . 2 July 1901.
- Strong, Thomas B., Internet Archive.
- Books by Thomas Banks Strong, Alibris.
- Thomas Banks Strong, Open Library.
- Thomas Banks Strong (1861 – 1944), Find a Grave Memorial.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
- Bibliographic directory from Project Canterbury
- Strong, Thomas Banks (1861–1944) Bishop of Oxford letters, JANUS, University of Cambridge
- Pictures and photographs at the National Portrait Gallery (London)
- Archival material relating to Thomas Strong (bishop) listed at the UK National Archives
|Dean of Christ Church, Oxford
Henry Julian White
Charles Buller Heberden
|Vice-Chancellor of Oxford University
Herbert Edward Douglas Blakiston
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Ripon
Edward Arthur Burroughs
Hubert Murray Burge
|Bishop of Oxford
Kenneth E. Kirk
|This biography of an British theology academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United Kingdom bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about an academic administrator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to the University of Oxford is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|