Thomas Bayly Howell
|Thomas Bayly Howell|
September 6, 1767|
|Died||April 13, 1815(aged 47)|
|Education||Christ Church, Oxford|
|Known for||Howell's State Trials|
Born, in Jamaica, his family returned to England in 1770 to settle at Prinknash Park near Gloucester. Howell studied at Christ Church, Oxford but did not graduate, instead moving on to Lincoln's Inn and being called to the bar in 1790.
In 1808, William Cobbett asked Howell to edit a new edition of the State Trials, a work aspiring to aggregate all the important cases on public law in England. Former compilations of the subject were published by Thomas Salmon, Sollom Emlyn and Francis Hargrave over the previous century. Howell worked on the project from 1809 to 1814, his son, Thomas Jones Howell taking over from him. A modern edition of the State Trials was edited by Donald Thomas and published from 1972 onwards.
- Goodwin (2004)
- "State Trials". WorldCat. OCLC. Retrieved 2008-10-26.
- Baildon, W. P. (ed.) (1896) The Records of the Honorable Society of Lincoln's Inn: Admissions, 1, 502
- — (1902) The Records of the Honorable Society of Lincoln's Inn: The Black Books, 4, 240, 249
- Burke, J. (1833-8) A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, 4 vols
- Goodwin, G. (2004) "Howell, Thomas Bayly (1767–1815)", rev. Jonathan Harris, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, accessed 27 February 2006, (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- Howell, B. T., ed. D. S. Thomas (1972). State Trials. London: Routledge & K. Paul. ISBN 0-7100-7325-9.
- Wallace, J. W. (1882) The Reporters, 4th ed., 64–9
- General Index to the Collection of State Trials compiled by Howell and Howell (1828), by David Jardine (link to version at google books)
- A Complete Collection of State Trials, vol I: 1163-1600
- Cobbett's Complete Collection of State Trials, vol IX: 1682-1684
- A Complete Collection of State Trials, vol XIII: 1696-1700
- A Complete Collection of State Trials, vol XVII: 1726-1743
- A Complete Collection of State Trials, vol XIX: 1752-1770
- A Complete Collection of State Trials, vol XXVIII: 1802-1803