Thomas Berthold (2014)
|Full name||Thomas Berthold|
|Date of birth||12 November 1964|
|Place of birth||Hanau, West Germany|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Central Back|
|1984–1986||West Germany U-21||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
He played 332 games in the Bundesliga, scoring 22 goals. He began his career in 1982 with Eintracht Frankfurt and played for them until 1987. From 1987 until 1991 he played in Italy: for Hellas Verona (1987–1989) and AS Roma (1989–1991). He then returned to Germany, signing for FC Bayern Munich (1991–1993) and VfB Stuttgart (1993–2000). Berthold's last season as an active player was with the Turkish league club Adanaspor for whom he played until 15 January 2001.
Between 1985 and 1994 Berthold made 62 international appearances, scoring 1 goal, for the West German and German national teams, participating in the 1986 World Cup in Mexico and 1988 European Championships in West Germany. He was a member of the West German team which won the 1990 World Cup, but wasn't at the German team which took second place in the European Championships in Sweden in 1992. His last appearance in international competition came shortly after the 1994 World Cup.
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|Italy||League||Coppa Italia||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|1987–88||Hellas Verona||Serie A||28||1|
|Germany national team|
- Score and results list West Germany's goal tally first.
|1.||30 April 1985||Strahov Stadium, Prague||Czechoslovakia||1–0||5–1||1986 World Cup qualifier|
- World Cup: 1990; Runner-up 1986
- Coppa Italia: 1990–91
- DFB-Pokal: 1996–97
- UEFA Cup: Runner-up 1990–91
- DFB-Ligapokal: Runner-up 1997, 1998
- Cup Winners' Cup: Runner-up 1997–98
- On 10 June 2006, he appeared in BBC's sports quiz A Question of Sport – World Cup special preceding England's opening game in the finals.
- He is a frequent football pundit/analyst for German TV channels Sport1 and Liga total!.
- Berthold was the onfield anchorman for Eurosport's pan-European coverage of the UEFA Women's Euro 2013 commenting as well as interviewing players and coaches in English, German, Italian and Spanish.
- He appeared as a color commentator for n-tv's German language coverage of the 2013 Audi Cup.
- He appeared as a frequent pundit for British Eurosport's 2014 World Cup coverage.
- Arnhold, Matthias (1 February 2006). "Thomas Berthold - International Appearances". RSSSF. Retrieved 7 June 2013.