Thomas Bridges, 2nd Baron Bridges
Bridges, the son of Cabinet Secretary Edward Bridges, was educated at Eton College and New College, Oxford and joined the Diplomatic Service in 1951. He is best known for being HM Ambassador to Italy from 1983 to 1987 following postings to, amongst others, West Berlin, Rio de Janeiro, Moscow and Washington, D.C.. He now sits as a cross-bench Peer in the House of Lords, although he has been on leave of absence since March 2011.
Bridges married the late Rachel Mary Bunbury (1926–2005), youngest daughter of Sir Henry Noel Bunbury KCB. They have three children:
- Hon. Mark Thomas Bridges CVO (b. 1954), Private Solicitor to the Queen
- Hon. Nicholas Edward Bridges (b. 1956), an architect
- Hon. Harriet Elizabeth Bridges
- A & C Black (2012). "BRIDGES, 2nd Baron". Who's Who 2012, online edition. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Lord Bridges". House of Lords website. UK parliament. 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Ineligible members of the House of Lords". House of Lords website. UK parliament. 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- A & C Black (2012). "BRIDGES, Hon. Mark Thomas". Who's Who 2012, online edition. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
Sir Ronald Arculus
|HM Ambassador to Italy
Sir Derek Thomas
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Edward Ettingdene Bridges
|This British diplomat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|