|Died||29 March 1765
Bath, Avon, England
|Allegiance||Kingdom of Great Britain|
|Commands held||Governor of Gibraltar|
|Battles/wars||Battle of Prestonpans|
|Relations||Sir Frederick Gustavus Fowke, 1st Baronet, of the Fowke baronets (grandson)|
Holding the rank of Lieutenant General, he served as Governor of Gibraltar during the period of 31 May 1754 to 12 July 1756 but was suspended for not providing a regiment of marines to Adm. John Byng, who was attempting to transport troops from Gibraltar to Minorca. Fowke was ultimately dismissed from the service by King George II, but reinstated to his former rank in 1761 by George III.
His first wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Ingoldsby, Bart. His second wife was Dorothea, daughter of Edward Randall, of Salisbury, Wiltshire. They had one son, Sir Thomas Fowke, Groom of the Bedchamber to Prince Henry, Duke of Cumberland and Strathearn. His grandson was Sir Frederick Gustavus Fowke, 1st Baronet (1782–1856) of the Fowke baronets.
- Lodge, Edmund (1859). The Genealogy of the Existing British Peerage and Baronetage: Containing the Family Histories of the Nobility (Digitized by GoogleBooks 11 June 2006 ed.). London: Hurst and Blackett. p. 686. OCLC 7806271.
- "Gibraltar Administrators". britishempire.co.uk. Retrieved 24 February 2009.
- Regan, Geoffrey (2000). Brassey's Book of Naval Blunders. Brassey's. p. 35. ISBN 1-57488-253-8.
- Cannon, Richard; Tupper, Arthur (1837). Historical Records of the British Army 4 (Digitized by GoogleBooks 11 May 2006 ed.). Great Britain Adjutant-General's Office. p. 51.
- "A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire". Digitized by GoogleBooks 13 May 2008 42 (1) (London: Henry Colburn). 1880. p. 507. OCLC 7366853.
- The Gentleman's Magazine for 1765, p. 198.
|Governor of Gibraltar
|Colonel of Thomas Fowke's Regiment of Foot
|Colonel of The Queen's Own Royal Regiment of Foot
|Colonel of the 14th Regiment of Foot
|This biographical article related to the British Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|