Thomas J. Watson Library
|Thomas J. Watson Library|
|Location||1000 5th Ave
New York, NY 10028 (United States)
|Director||Ken Soehner (Chief Librarian)|
|Public transit access||Subway: to 86th Street
Bus: M1, M2, M3, M4, M79, and M86
The Thomas J. Watson Library is the main research library of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and supports the research activities of the Museum staff, as well as outside researchers and can be accessed without appointment. At the Metropolitan Museum of Art, each Department maintains a library, most of which have materials requestable online through the libraries' catalog.
Watson Library’s collection contains approximately 900,000 volumes, including monographs and exhibition catalogs; over 11,000 periodical titles; and more than 125,000 auction and sale catalogs. The Library includes a reference collection, auction and sale catalogs, a rare book collection, manuscript items, and vertical file collections. The Library is accessible to anyone 18 years of age or older simply by registering online and providing a valid photo ID.
The Digital Collections seeks to digitize rare and unique materials that have not yet been digitized anywhere else on the web.
Highlights from the Digital Collections include:
- Metropolitan Museum of Art Publications
- Rare Books in the Thomas J. Watson Library Collection
- The Brummer Gallery Records
- Costume Institute Fashion Plates
- "Thomas J. Watson Library » Blog Archive » Collections". Libmma.org. 2007-08-21. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "Thomas J. Watson Library » Blog Archive » Access and Hours". Libmma.org. 2007-07-21. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "IBM Archives: Interactive history". 03.ibm.com. 2010-11-11. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "About the Digitization Initiative at The Metropolitan Museum of Art Libraries :: Digital Collections from The Metropolitan Museum of Art Libraries". Libmma.contentdm.oclc.org. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Watsonline: the catalog of the libraries of The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Digital Collections from The Metropolitan Museum of Art Libraries
- Thomas J. Watson Library Portal
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art website