Thomas Jefferson High School (Federal Way, Washington)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008)|
||This school-related article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (November 2008)|
|Thomas Jefferson High School|
|4248 S 288th ST,
Auburn, WA 98001
|School district||Federal Way School District|
|Color(s)||Red and Gold|
Thomas Jefferson High School is located in Auburn, Washington. It is the largest enrolled High School in the district and one of the largest in the State of Washington. The school is a member of the Coalition of Essential Schools, an organization whose guiding principles are intended to bolster student achievement.
Since 1997 the school has offered the International Baccalaureate Program. The two-year program is an option for all students. The program can be a full-diploma choice or an option for earning certificates in specific subjects. The assessments are sent to external assessors, assuring that student work conforms to program standards. Thomas Jefferson High School also offers an honor program called Pre-IB which is a program that prepares students for the International Baccalaureate program.
The Construction Apprenticeship Preparation Program (CAPP) is an integrated 4-year program for students interested in careers and apprenticeships in the construction industry. Construction, Language Arts and Math instructors team to take students through the four-year curriculum. College credit is available to enrolled students.
Emergency Preparedness Club
Each October the Emergency Response Club sponsors a Mass Casualty Incident Drill that simulates a shallow 7.2 magnitude earthquake and simulates trapping over 35 students and staff members in 12 separate buildings.
Thomas Jefferson "Mathletes" have been active participants in state Mu Alpha Theta math competitions and have achieved noteworthy successes. They have placed in the Top 10 in national Mu Alpha Theta conventions for the last 14 years and many students have won individual championships.Thomas Jefferson has hosted the Washington state Mu Alpha Theta contest since 2005. In 2011 TJHS was recognized for its "contributions to a history of outstanding mathematics service to its community" with the Mu Alpha Theta Rubin Award.
Puget Sound Skills Center
Students are able to receive vocational training at the Puget Sound Skills Center, formerly known as Sea-Tac Occupational Skills Center.
TJ’s Raiderlinks was an interdisciplinary program that prepares students for their preferred career path and is aligned with the Washington Assessment for Student Learning (WASL) and Federal Way Public Schools’ literacy goals. The program offered a curriculum that integrated technology into English, social studies, and science classes. Raiderlinks was a 1997 ComputerWorld Smithsonian Award for Excellence winner.
Students wishing to participate in the Running Start program have dual enrollment at either Highline Community College or Green River Community College. Students may attend classes at either college or both, and can attend classes either full-time or part-time. Students must provide their own transportation, unless they are disabled and their Individual Education Plan requires the school district to provide it.
TJ, a member of the South Puget Sound League (SPSL), won the WIAA Washington State Boys High School Soccer Championship 8 times (1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1994, 2005 and 2013). Overall, Thomas Jefferson athletic teams finished 4th for the 2008-2009 season and 3rd in 2009-2010 for the SPSL all sports trophy.
- Bryan Pittman- Plays for the Houston Texans of the NFL.
- James Sun - President of Zoodango, Donald Trump's show The Apprentice participant.
- Josie Bissett - Actress, most notably in Melrose Place. Dropped out as a Junior.
- Kenny Mayne - Sports personality, most notably on Sportscenter.
- Lamar Neagle - Professional soccer player with Seattle Sounders FC in Major League Soccer.
- Wade Webber - Former professional soccer player with the Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders and the Dallas Burn and Miami Fusion of Major League Soccer (MLS). He was an IB history teacher at TJ.
- National Center for Education Statistics
- "CES Common Principles"., retrieved 2012-04-08
- "IBO school webpage"., retrieved 2012-04-08
- "Thomas Jefferson High School International Baccalaureate Program".
- Federal Way Schools Career and Technical Education
- Federal Way Mirror, Drill brings confidence in face of 'disaster' , June 13 2008, retrieved 2012-04-09
- Washington State Math Contest results, retrieved 2012-04-08
- Washington State Math Contest, retrieved 2012-04-08
- Mu Alpha Theta Rubin Awards, retrieved 2012-04-08
- "PSSC History".
- [dead link]
- "Raiderlinks home page".
- "Running Start FAQ (PDF)".