Thomas Liddell, 1st Baron Ravensworth
Liddell was the son of Sir Henry Liddell, 5th Baronet and his wife Elizabeth Steele. His younger brother Henry Liddell, Rector of Easington (1787-1872) was father of a younger Henry Liddell, co-author (with Robert Scott) of the monumental work A Greek-English Lexicon
He succeeded his father in the baronetcy and to the family estates at Ravensworth Castle and Eslington Park and to extensive coal mining interests in 1791. He was High Sheriff of Northumberland in 1804 and served as Tory Member of Parliament for County Durham between 1806 and 1807. On 17 July 1821 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Ravensworth, of Ravensworth Castle in the County Palatine of Durham and of Eslington Park in the County of Northumberland.
At Ravensworth he demolished the old 1724 house in 1808 and replaced it with a substantial mansion in the Gothic style designed by architect John Nash. He also employed George Stephenson from 1804 at his Killingworth colliery and encouraged and financed him in the development of steam power which was vital for the improvement of the efficiency of the wagonways which transported coal from the pit to the River Tyne.
Marriage and children
On 26 March 1796, Thomas married Maria Susannah Simpson. She was a daughter of John Simpson and Anne Lyon. Her maternal grandparents were Thomas Lyon, 8th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne and Jean Nicholsen.
They had twelve children:
- Henry Thomas Liddell, 1st Earl of Ravensworth (10 March 1797 – 19 March 1878).
- Maria Liddell (20 April 1798 - 20 October 1882). Married Constantine Phipps, 1st Marquess of Normanby.
- Thomas Liddell (September 1800 - 9 March 1856). Married Caroline Elizabeth Barrington, daughter of George Barrington, 5th Viscount Barrington.
- Anne Elizabeth Liddell ( 1 November 1801- 4 November 1878). Married Sir Hedworth Williamson, 7th Baronet.
- Jane Elizabeth Liddell (29 September 1804 - 22 March 1883). Married William Keppel Barrington, 6th Viscount Barrington.
- Elizabeth Charlotte Liddell (17 August 1807 – 15 April 1890). Married Edward Ernest Villiers, a son of George Villiers and grandson of Thomas Villiers, 1st Earl of Clarendon. Their daughter Edith Villiers married Robert Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Earl of Lytton.
- Robert Liddell (24 September 1808 - 29 June 1888). Married Emily Ann Charlotte Wellesley, a daughter of Gerald Wellesley and granddaughter of Garret Wesley, 1st Earl of Mornington
- Susan Liddell (11 January 1810 – 22 November 1886). Married Charles Yorke, 4th Earl of Hardwicke.
- George Augustus Frederick Liddell (28 July 1812 - 14 December 1888). Cecil Elizabeth Jane Wellesley, another daughter of Gerald Wellesley and granddaughter of Garret Wesley, 1st Earl of Mornington.
- Charlotte Amelia Liddell (1 February 1814 - 16 July 1883). Married Captain John Trotter (2nd Lifeguards) of Dyrham Park and had issue.
- Adolphus Frederick Octavious Liddell (15 January 1818 - 27 June 1885). Married Frederica Elizabeth Lane-Fox, daughter of George Lane-Fox and Georgiana Henrietta Buckley. Georgiana was a granddaughter of John West, 2nd Earl De La Warr.
- Georgiana Liddell (13 April 1822 - 21 May 1905). Married John Arthur Douglas Bloomfield, 2nd Baron Bloomfield.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir Ralph Milbanke, Bt
|Member of Parliament for County Durham
With: Sir Ralph Milbanke, Bt
Sir Ralph Milbanke, Bt
Sir Henry Vane-Tempest, Bt
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New title||Baron Ravensworth
|Baronetage of England|
(of Ravensworth Castle)