Thomas McCrae (physician)
Thomas McCrae (1870–1935) was Professor of Medicine at Jefferson Medical College, and student and later colleague of Sir William Osler. Often quoted in medical training for his remark "more is missed by not looking than not knowing".
Early life and medical training
He became an assistant resident at Johns Hopkins Hospital in 1895 in Baltimore, Maryland and was later joined by his brother in 1899. It was there that he became associated with Dr William Osler (later Sir William) who was the "pre-eminent medical educator of his time".
McCrae's association with Osler continued with their collaboration in The Principles and Practice of Medicine, an authoritative medical text at the time. McCrae was initially assistant editor, but later became the editor of this text upon Osler's death.
In 1912 he became Professor of Medicine at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia.
"In 1924, he was Lumleian lecturer at the Royal College of Physicians in London. He was chairman of the Section on Practice of Medicine of the American Medical Association, 1914-1915. From 1916 to 1925 he was secretary of the Association of American Physicians and in 1930 its president."
- Ronni, Wolf; Orion, E; Marcos, B; Matz, H (2006). ""More is missed by not looking than by not knowing"[Thomas McCrae, 1870-1935]". International Journal of Dermatology (full textdoi:10.1111/j.1365-4632.2005.02623.x. PMID 16426376.) 45 (1): 50.
- Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae - Veterans Affairs Canada at www.vac-acc.gc.ca
- Fonds Level Description - Osler Library Archives - Osler Library of the History of Medicine at www.health.library.mcgill.ca
- The Early Years - Veterans Affairs Canada at www.vac-acc.gc.ca
- The Alan Mason Chesney Medical Archives - Photograph Collection - Albums at www.medicalarchives.jhmi.edu
- Thomas McCrae at www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov
Wolf R, Orion E, Marcos B, Matz H, "More is missed by not looking than not knowing" in International Journal of Dermatology 2006, 40, 50.
"Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae" on Veterans' Affairs Canada
Box 149 and 151 Photograph Albums in The Alan Mason Chesney Medical Archives at The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
"Thomas McCrae" in Can Med Assoc J. 1935 August; 33(2): 190–191.
"Thomas McCrae Fonds" in the Osler Library Archive Collections