Mesereau in November 2007
July 1, 1950 |
West Point, New York
Mesereau represented former world heavyweight boxing champion, and convicted rapist, Mike Tyson in a rape investigation conducted by the San Bernardino County, California District Attorney's Office in 2001. Charges were dropped.
Mesereau was the second lawyer during pre-trial proceedings in actor Robert Blake's case over the murder of his wife Bonnie Lee Bakley. Blake's first attorney Harland Braun resigned over Blake's decision to appear in a televised interview with Diane Sawyer against Braun's advice and counsel. For unprofessional conduct during the deposition, Mesereau was fined $18,950. After losing his appeal of the fine, he paid a total of $22,000. After Blake had spent ten months in isolation in Los Angeles County Jail, Mesereau obtained bail for him. Mesereau cross-examined prosecution witnesses in a three-week, televised preliminary hearing. The hearing revealed flaws in the prosecution's case. Mesereau resigned from the case, declining to explain why.
In 2004, Mesereau and Susan Yu were hired to replace attorneys Mark Geragos and Ben Brafman as lead trial counsel. Johnnie Cochran, who represented Jackson during earlier molestation accusations had recommended Mesereau to Jackson's family. In an unusual pretrial hearing, Mesereau called Santa Barbara County District Attorney, Thomas Sneddon, to the witness stand and examined him under oath. Mesereau and Sneddon were the lead trial lawyers in the case. The trial lasted from January to June 2005 and ended with Jackson acquitted of all 14 charges against him. Mesereau attended Jackson's funeral service and interment in 2009.
In 2009, Thomas Mesereau and Susan Yu defended Joe Babajian in a high-profile mortgage fraud criminal trial in Federal Court, Los Angeles. Babajian had been indicted by Federal grand jury for twenty-one felony counts, including criminal conspiracy, real estate fraud, bank fraud, loan fraud, wire fraud, etc. Federal prosecutors claimed Babajian participated in a scheme to inflate property values and submit fraudulent loan documents and false property appraisals.
Called the "Realtor to the Stars," Babajian was once the highest grossing real estate agent in the United States. He had sold homes to Barbra Streisand, Bruce Willis, Warren Beatty, Lee Iacocca, Beyoncé, Victoria and David Beckham, Oscar De La Hoya, Nicolas Cage, and others.
Eight individuals pleaded guilty to being part of the conspiracy prior to trial. Three individuals, including Babajian, went to trial. On August 10, 2009, the Jury returned his verdict. Babajian was not convicted on a single count. The Jury acquitted Babajian of thirteen counts and hung on the remaining eight counts. The other two defendants were convicted.
On April 9, 2012, Thomas Mesereau and Susan Yu began jury selection in their defense of Claudia Haro, the ex-wife of Oscar-winning actor, Joe Pesci. Ms. Haro was charged with conspiracy to murder and multiple counts of attempted murder. She was facing two consecutive life sentences.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office claimed that Ms. Haro masterminded numerous attempts to murder her next husband, Garrett Warren. Warren is a successful stuntman who appeared in the movies Mission Impossible III, Avatar and Iron Man 2. The prosecution said Ms. Haro hired her brother, convicted drug dealer Manny Haro, and three others to murder Warren. During his divorce with Claudia Haro, Warren opened his front door and was shot four times, losing one eye.
The gunman, Jorge Hernandez, received life in prison in a separate trial. Ms. Haro’s brother, the self-admitted middleman, also received life in prison. He agreed to testify against his sister. After the start of jury selection, Ms. Haro pleaded “No Contest” to two counts of attempted murder with a sentence of twelve years, four months. With time already served in Los Angeles County Jail before being released on bail, Ms. Haro will serve approximately eight years in prison.
Pro bono work and awards
Although known for his celebrity cases, Mesereau is also an advocate for pro bono volunteer legal services. He has established a legal clinic in Los Angeles and accepts one capital murder case each year on behalf of a defendant in the Deep South who cannot afford representation.
He has been named "Criminal Defense Lawyer of the Year" by the Criminal Courts Bar Association, Los Angeles and the Century City Bar Association, Los Angeles  and has been listed as one of the "One Hundred Most Influential Attorneys in California" by the Los Angeles Daily Journal. Mesereau has also received the "Humanitarian Award" from The National Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice. Mesereau has received a "Community Service Award" from former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.
- Jones, Aphrodite; (2007). Michael Jackson Conspiracy. iUniverse. ISBN 0-9795498-0-9.
- Sullivan, Randall; (2012). Untouchable: The Strange Life and Tragic Death of Michael Jackson. Grove Press. ISBN 978-0-8021-1962-9.
- Fausset, Richard (June 14, 2005). "Attorney's Career Has Had Plenty of High Stakes and High Pressure". Los Angeles Times.
- Deutsch, Linda (June 14, 2005). "Defense Attorney Dominated the Courtroom". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Sullivan, Randall (2012). Untouchable: The Strange Life and Tragic Death of Michael Jackson. New York: Grove Press. p. 317.
- Jean Guccione; Andrew Blankstein (March 27, 2003). "Blake's Attorney Known for Fierce, Tenacious Defense". Los Angeles Times.
- Dubin, Eric. The Star Chamber: How Celebrities Go Free and Their Lawyers Become Famous, p 20.
- Guccione, Jean; Blankstein, Andrew (March 15, 2003). "Blake Freed Until Trial". Los Angeles Times.
- Houston, David (March 10, 2003). "Hearing for Blake Reveals Flaws in Case, Experts Say". Los Angeles Daily Journal.
- Guccione, Jean (February 6, 2004). "Another Defense Attorney for Blake is Out". Los Angeles Times.
- "Jacko Pleads Not Guilty in Molestation Case." Fox News, April 30, 2004.
- "Jackson Hires Black Atty. Johnnie Cochran To Defend Him Against Charges". Jet 85 (8): 61. 1993-12-20.
- O'Neill, Ann (2010-10-05). "Tom Mesereau defends big names and no-names". CNN.
- Houston, David (August 30, 2004). "Grilling Prosecutors on Stand Is an Old Trick for Mesereau". Los Angeles Daily Journal.
- Kher, Unmesh; Kettmann, Matt (March 14, 2005). "Let the Lawyering Begin". Time Magazine.
- "Jackson not guilty on all counts." MSNBC, June 13, 2005.
- Hood, Abbey (August 13, 2009). "Babajian Acquitted of Mortgage Fraud in Federal Court". Beverly Hills Courier.
- Hong, Peter Y. (August 11, 2009). "2 Convicted in Mortgage Fraud Trial". Los Angeles Times.
- Pelisek, Christine (April 11, 2012). "Did Joe Pesci’s Ex Hire a Hitman?". The Daily Beast.
- Friedman, Roger (September 28, 2012). "Michael Jackson Lawyer On How He Got a Great Deal for Joe Pesci’s Ex-Wife". Showbiz411.com.
- Houston, David (January 3, 2001). "Attorney Mesereau Works to Beat of a Different Drummer". Los Angeles Daily Journal.
- Hobbs, Dawn (May 18, 2004). "Jackson Advocate: Mesereau defends rich, famous, poor, unknown". Santa Barbara News-Press.
- Houston, David (February 26, 2003). "Mesereau's Pro Bono Calling Gratifies Him". Los Angeles Daily Journal.
- Velasco, Eric (April 16, 2006). "Lawyer Defends Underdogs in Trials of Known, Unknown". The Birmingham News.
- Phillips, Jeb (March 9, 2001). "Acquittal Inspires Attorney". Birmingham Post-Herald.
- Chawkins, Steve (October 3, 2004). "Star Lawyer Depply Committed to Deep South". Los Angeles Times.
- Barbara Walters Special Telecast, ABC, November 29, 2005.
- GQ Magazine, December 2005 issue, p. 217.
- "Jerry Giesler Memorial Award". Pasadena, California. Criminal Courts Bar Association. March 11, 2006.
- "Criminal Law Awards of Excellence". Los Angeles, California. Century City Bar Association. September 10, 2003.
- "One Hundred Most Influential Attorneys in California". Los Angeles Daily Journal. September 29, 2005.
- "Humanitarian Award". Los Angeles, California. National Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice. May 17, 2002.
- "City of Los Angeles, State of California, Certificate of Recognition". October 30, 2005.
- Mesereau & Yu, LLP
- Mesereau Free Legal Clinic
- Transcript of 6/14/05 Appearance of Thomas Mesereau on Larry King Live
- Transcript of Appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
- Transcript of 6/16/05 Appearance on The Abrams Report