Thomas Parke (Royal Marines officer)
General Thomas Adams Parke C.B. was a career officer in the Royal Marines. Associated with the Royal Marine Artillery (RMA) of the nineteenth century Royal Marines; he was for many years commandant of that corps. Toward the end of his long and distinguished service, he led the Woolwich Division of the Royal Marines as Colonel Commandant.
Thomas Adams Parke was born in the civil parish of Fawley, Hampshire, on October 13, 1780."General Thomas Adams Parke, C.B., of the Royal Marines" died "at his residence, Hythe, near Southampton" on September 3, 1858. He was then 77 years old.
He served in the Napoleonic Wars; his first notable action was the Battle of Camperdown aboard HMS Triumph. In 1812, he commanded two companies of artillery which supported the 1st and 2nd Battalions, Royal Marines in Spain. He was the Marine Artillery brigade commander when this force redeployed to North America in 1813 to fight the War of 1812, with a rocket detachment supplementing his original two companies.
He married Eliza (Maskall or Marshall) on the 9th of November 1805 at Alverstoke, Hants.
One of their son's Henry William Parke (1807-1891) was commissioned in the Royal Marine Artillery in 1822 & after spending almost forty years in the service retired with the rank of Major General on full pay in 1859.
Another son Hamnett Parke (1811-1858) was a Captain in he Royal Marine Artillery.
Promotions, awards, and titles
- Second Lieutenant, (H.M. Marine Forces) 19 May 1795.
- First Lieutenant, (H.M. Marine Forces) 23 November 1796.
- Captain, Royal Marine Artillery (Royal Marines) 15 August 1805.
- Brevet Major, (Army List) 12 August 1819.
- Major, Royal Marine Artillery (Royal Marines) 22 July 1830.
- Lieutenant Colonel Royal Marine Artillery (Royal Marines) 31 December 1832.
- Colonel,and 2nd Commandant Royal Marines 26 Apr 1838.
- Colonel Commandant, Royal Marines 12 February 1842.
- Companion of the Bath 26 September 1831.
- Naval General Service Medal (1847) with clasp "Camperdown".
- Good service pension awarded 27th June 1857.
- "England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch
- Cite Obituary|The Gentleman's magazine. v.205 1858 Jul-Dec.|page 428|HathiTrustDigitalLibrary 
- Hart's annual army list 1840; Note: Colonel Parke on pg 298 among Corps of Royal Marines (pp 292–304)
- NICOLAS, p272
- London Gazette: Viewing Page 2970 of Issue 21262 published on the 11 November 1851. Page 6 of 8 
- London Gazette: Viewing Page 2457 of Issue 21735 published on the 26 June 1855. Page 3 of 34 
- London Gazette: Viewing Page 472 of Issue 21966 published on the 10 February 1857. Page 2 of 28 
- London Gazette: Viewing Page 1970 of Issue 18854 published on the 27 September 1831. Page 2 of 24 
- Paul Harris Nicolas, Historical Record of the Royal Marine Forces, Volume 2, 1805-1842. London, Boone, 1845 - via Google Books
- The Navy List corrected to the end of Dec 1814, Great Britain, Admiralty - via Google Books
- Hart's annual army list, militia list, and imperial yeomanry list 1840, London. John Murray - Google Books