Thomas Savage (bishop)
|The Most Reverend
|Archbishop of York|
|Appointed||18 January 1501|
|Term ended||3 September 1507|
|Other posts||Bishop of Rochester
Bishop of London
|Consecration||28 April 1493|
|Parents||Sir John Savage, K.G., of Clifton, Cheshire, & Katherine née Stanley.|
|Profession||Bishop & Archbishop|
Family and studies
Thomas Savage was the second son of the many children of Sir John Savage, K.B., of Clifton, Cheshire, by his wife Katherine, daughter of Thomas Stanley, 1st Baron Stanley, K.G. He spent some years in study at Oxford University, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree before 1474. He was then sent abroad, studying at the University of Bologna before July 1477, and then at the University of Padua, where he was admitted a Doctor of Canon Law, and acted as a jurist Rector 1481–2.
He was appointed Rector of Davenham, Cheshire, 1470; Rector of Jacobstow, Devon, 1474; Rector of Monks Risborough, Buckinghamshire, 1484 and Rector of Rosthorne, Cheshire. In 1490 he took part as a representative of England in the unsuccessful conference at Boulogne.On 3 December 1492, Thomas Savage was nominated Bishop of Rochester. He was consecrated on 28 April 1493 and held the post until 1496 when he was translated to be Bishop of London. He was translated from the see of London on 18 January 1501 to be Archbishop of York, a post he held until death. While Archbishop he handled the marriage ceremony of Arthur, Prince of Wales to Catherine of Aragon. Prince Arthur died young, and his brother Henry, who became Henry VIII, then married Catherine.
"A Lancastrian in politics, he was much trusted and employed by Henry VII....he was a courtier by nature, and took part in the great ceremonies of his time, the creation of Prince Henry as Duke of York, the meeting with the Archduke Philip, and the reception of Catherine of Aragon."
- Sutherland, Douglas, 2007, p.724.
- The Visitation of Cheshire 1580 by several heralds, edited by John Paul Rylands, F.S.A., London, 1882, p.203–4.
- Richardson, Douglas, Magna Carta Ancestry, Baltimore, Md., 2007, p.724, ISBN 0-8063-1759-0
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 268
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 283
- Lee, Sidney, ed. (1897). "Savage, Thomas (d.1507)". Dictionary of National Biography 50. London: Smith, Elder & Co. p. 362.
- Richardson, Douglas, 2007, p.724
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
|Catholic Church titles|
|Bishop of Rochester
|Bishop of London
|Archbishop of York