Thomas Sloan (Kansas politician)
|Member of the Kansas House of Representatives
from the 45th district
|Born||March 5, 1946|
|Alma mater||Syracuse University, BA|
Thomas "Tom" Sloan (born March 5, 1946) is the incumbent member of the Kansas House of Representatives for the 45th district, which covers Northwestern Douglas County, including western Lawrence. He has served since 1995. He is a member of the Republican Party.
Born in Huntington, New York, Sloan grew up on a farm in rural Upstate New York. He received his BA from Syracuse University in 1968, his MA from Michigan State University in 1969, and PhD in Political Science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1977.
Sloan moved to Kansas in the late 1970s when he became an assistant professor at Kansas State University. Sloan has also worked as Executive Director of Western Resources, Government Affairs Representative for the Getty Oil Company, and associate executive director of the Kansas State Nurses Association.
Sloan has a reputation as a moderate Republican and works well with both parties. Sloan has won re-election in his district seven times, making him one of the most experienced House members in Kansas.
Sloan's website lists his legislative priorities as education, health care, energy, and water.
- Vision 2020 (Chair)
- Energy and Utilities
- Government Efficiency and Fiscal Oversight
- Joint Committee on Energy and Environmental Policy
The top 5 donors to Sloan's 2008 campaign:
- 1. Kansas Medical Society $1,000
- 2. Kansans for Lifesaving Cures $1,000
- 3. Kansas Contractors Assoc $1,000
- 4. Koch Industries $1,000
- 5. AT&T $1,000
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Thomas Sloan Biography
- Rep. Tom Sloan - Issues
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign Contributions
- Official Website
- Kansas Legislature - Thomas Sloan
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Kansas Votes profile
- State Surge - Legislative and voting track record
- Follow the Money campaign contributions: