Thomas Strong (bishop)
|Thomas Banks Strong|
|Vice-Chancellor of the University of Oxford|
|Term||1913 – 1917|
|Predecessor||Charles Buller Heberden|
|Successor||Herbert Edward Douglas Blakiston|
|Born||24 October 1861|
|Died||8 July 1944(aged 82)|
|Alma mater||Christ Church, Oxford|
|Religion||Church of England|
Thomas Banks Strong GBE, DD (24 October 1861 – 8 July 1944) was an English theologian who was Bishop of Ripon and Oxford. He was also Dean of Christ Church, Oxford and served as Vice-Chancellor of Oxford University during the First World War.
Thomas Strong was educated at Westminster School and Christ Church, Oxford, where he received a 2nd class degree in Literae Humaniores in 1883. He became a deacon in 1885 and a priest in 1886. At Christ Church, Strong was successively Lecturer (1884), Student (1888), Censor (1892), and then Dean (1901–1920). He received the degree Doctor of Divinity (DD) from the University of Oxford in January 1902.
Strong produced a number of theological publications. He became a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire (GBE) in 1918. He was buried at Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford, where there is a memorial stone with a Latin inscription.
- Christian Ethics: Eight Lectures (Longmans, Green and Co., 1896)
- A Manual of Theology (1903)
- God and the Individual (1903; Kessinger Publishing Company, 2008, ISBN 978-1-4368-5986-8)
- Lectures on the Method of Science (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906)
- Visitation Charge of the Bishop of Oxford at the Diocesan Visitation 1931 (Oxford University Press, 1931)
- Ellie Clewlow, Strong, Thomas Banks (1861–1944), Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, September 2004. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/36356
- "Previous Vice-Chancellors". University of Oxford, UK. Retrieved July 13, 2011.
- "Strong, Thomas Banks". The Concise Dictionary of National Biography. Volume III: N–Z. Oxford University Press. 1995. pp. 1887–1888.
- The London Gazette: . 2 July 1901.
- "University intelligence - Oxford" The Times (London). Monday, 3 February 1902. (36681), p. 7.
- Strong, Thomas B., Internet Archive.
- Books by Thomas Banks Strong, Alibris.
- Thomas Banks Strong, Open Library.
- Thomas Banks Strong (1861 – 1944), Find a Grave Memorial.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
- Bibliographic directory from Project Canterbury
- Strong, Thomas Banks (1861–1944) Bishop of Oxford letters, JANUS, University of Cambridge
- Pictures and photographs at the National Portrait Gallery (London)
- Archival material relating to Thomas Strong (bishop) listed at the UK National Archives
|Dean of Christ Church, Oxford
Henry Julian White
Charles Buller Heberden
|Vice-Chancellor of Oxford University
Herbert Edward Douglas Blakiston
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Ripon
Edward Arthur Burroughs
Hubert Murray Burge
|Bishop of Oxford
Kenneth E. Kirk