Thomas Thynne, 2nd Marquess of Bath
Thomas Thynne, 2nd Marquess of Bath KG (25 January 1765 – 27 March 1837), styled Viscount Weymouth from 1789 until 1796, was a British peer.
Background and education
Between 1786 and 1790, he was MP (Tory) for Weobley. He later sat for Bath from 1790 to 1796. He was Lord Lieutenant of Somerset between 1819 and 1837 and was invested as a Knight of the Garter on 16 July 1823.
Lord Bath married the Honourable Isabella Elizabeth Byng, daughter of George Byng, 4th Viscount Torrington, on 14 April 1794. They had eleven children:
- Lady Elizabeth Thynne (1795–1866), married John Campbell, 1st Earl Cawdor and had issue.
- Thomas Thynne, Viscount Weymouth (1796 – 16 January 1837), married Harriet Robbins.
- Henry Frederick Thynne, 3rd Marquess of Bath (1797 – 24 June 1837)
- Reverend Lord John Thynne (1798–1881), married Anne Beresford and had issue. He inherited the manor of Haynes from his uncle John Thynne, 3rd Baron Carteret, last Baron Carteret. He was a canon of Westminster Abbey, where exists his monument and effigy.
- Lady Louisa Thynne (25 Mar 1801–1859), married Henry Lascelles, 3rd Earl of Harewood and had issue.
- Lord William Thynne (1802–1890), married Belinda Brumel.
- Lord Francis Thynne (1805–1821)
- Lord Edward Thynne (1807–1884), married first Elizabeth Mellish and second Cecilia Anne Mary Gore, by whom he had issue.
- Lord George Thynne (1808-19 Jun 1832)
- Lady Charlotte Anne Thynne (1811–1895), married Walter Montagu Douglas Scott, 5th Duke of Buccleuch and had issue.
- Reverend Lord Charles Thynne (1813–1894), married Harriet Bagot and had issue, including a daughter who married the 4th Earl of Kenmare.
Lord Bath died in 1837, aged 72, and was buried at his home, Longleat House.
- "Thynne, The Hon. Thomas (THN785T)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- 'Parishes: Hawnes or Haynes', A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 2 (1908), pp. 338-344. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=62661 Date accessed: 17 July 2010.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Thomas Thynne, 2nd Marquess of Bath
|Parliament of Great Britain|
|Member of Parliament for Weobley
With: John Scott
Lord George Thynne
|Member of Parliament for Bath
With: John Pratt 1780–1794
Sir Richard Arden 1794–1801
Sir Richard Arden
Lord John Thynne
The Earl Poulett
|Lord Lieutenant of Somerset
The Earl of Ilchester
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|Marquess of Bath
|This biography of a noble of the peerage of Great Britain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of Great Britain (1707–1800) representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|