Thompson Square (album)
|Studio album by Thompson Square|
|Released||February 8, 2011|
|Producer||New Voice Entertainment|
|Thompson Square chronology|
|Singles from Thompson Square|
Thompson Square is the self-titled debut album of the American country music duo Thompson Square. The album was released on February 8, 2011 via Stoney Creek Records, a division of Broken Bow Records. It includes the singles "Let's Fight," "Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not," "I Got You," and "Glass."
The album was produced by labelmate Jason Aldean's road band, New Voice Entertainment, which consists of Tully Kennedy, Kurt Allison, David Fanning and Rich Redmond. "Let's Fight" was released as the first single in May 3, 2010, and reached number 58 on the Hot Country Songs charts in June 2010 before being withdrawn from radio in favor of "Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not", which was released in July 12, 2010. It became their first Number One hit on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs charts in April 2011, and was certified 2× Platinum by the RIAA. The album produced two more singles in "I Got You" and "Glass," both of which were Top 20 hits on the Hot Country Songs chart, with the former reaching the Top Ten.
Thompson Square debuted at number 15 on the U.S. Billboard 200 and number 3 on the U.S. Top Country Albums chart, with first-week sales of 30,028. As of the chart dated July 23, 2011, the album has sold 196,989 copies in the US.
Reviewing for Country Weekly, Jessica Phillips gave the album three-and-a-half stars out of five. She called the album a "refreshingly honest glimpse into the highs, lows and idiosyncrasies of a relationship", but criticized the sound by saying that it did not "stray far from the country-rock hybrid." An identical rating came from William Ruhlmann of Allmusic, who said that they "make the most of their romantic pairing" but thought that "many of the arrangements are outright rockers". He also criticized the vocal arrangements for favoring Kiefer. Bobby Peacock of Roughstock rated the album four stars out of five, calling the vocals "energetic, dynamic and, best of all, balanced" in addition to praising their chemistry.
|1.||"I Got You"||Paul Jenkins, Jason Sellers, Kiefer Thompson, Shawna Thompson||3:03|
|2.||"Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not"||David Lee Murphy, Jim Collins||3:04|
|3.||"Glass"||Ross Copperman, Jon Nite||3:51|
|4.||"My Kind of Crazy"||James LeBlanc, K. Thompson, S. Thompson||3:46|
|5.||"As Bad as It Gets"||Erik Halbig, K. Thompson, S. Thompson||3:27|
|6.||"Who Loves Who More"||Billy Austin, Jeannine Lasky, Matt Lopez||3:08|
|7.||"Getaway Car"||Troy Johnson, K. Thompson, S. Thompson||3:32|
|8.||"Let's Fight"||Westin Davis, K. Thompson, Kip Moore||3:01|
|9.||"All the Way"||Moore, K. Thompson||3:16|
|10.||"I Don't Wanna Miss You"||Halbig, K. Thompson, S. Thompson||4:05|
|11.||"If It Takes All Night"||Bobby Tomberlin, Davis, K. Thompson, S. Thompson||4:10|
|12.||"One of Those Days"||David Fanning, K. Thompson, S. Thompson||2:36|
|U.S. Billboard 200||15|
|U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums||3|
|U.S. Billboard Independent Albums||3|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Certifications
|"Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not"||1||32||50|
|2011||"I Got You"||8||68||—|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- Ruhlmann, William. "Thompson Square review". Allmusic. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- Phillips, Jessica (21 February 2011). "Reviews". Country Weekly 18 (8): 56. ISSN 1074-3235.
- Peacock, Bobby (7 February 2011). "Thompson Square review". Roughstock. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- Bjorke, Matt (25 January 2011). "New Artist Spotlight: Thompson Square". Roughstock. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
- "Thompson Square Debuts Strong on Album Charts". Roughstock. 2011-02-16. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "The Country Boys Continue to Dominate the Charts". Roughstock. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Thompson Square Album & Song Chart History - Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 30, 2011.
- "Thompson Square Album & Song Chart History - Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 30, 2011.
- "Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not - Thompson Square". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- "American single certifications – Thompson Square – Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH