|Meaning||son of Thomas|
|Region of origin||Denmark|
|Related names||Thomason, Thomson, Thompson|
Thomsen is a Danish patronymic surname meaning "son of Tom (or Thomas)", itself derived from the Aramaic תום or Tôm, meaning "twin". There are many varied surname spellings, with the first historical record believed to be found in 1252. Thomsen is uncommon as a given name.
People with the surname Thomsen include:
- Britta Thomsen, Danish politician
- Cecilie Thomsen, Danish actress and model
- Christian Jürgensen Thomsen (1788–1865), Danish archaeologist
- Claus Thomsen, Danish former professional footballer
- Finn Thomsen, Danish motorcycle speedway rider
- Fred Thomsen, American college football coach
- Grímur Thomsen (1820-1896), Icelandic poet and editor
- Grover C. Thomsen, Danish-American chemist
- Gunnar H. Thomsen, Faroese musician
- Hans Peter Jørgen Julius Thomsen (1826–1909), Danish chemist
- Hasse Thomsén (1942–2004), Swedish heavyweight boxer
- Ib Thomsen, Norwegian politician
- Iris Thomsen (born 1987), Danish dancer
- Knud Vad Thomsen (1905-1971) was a Danish composer
- Linda Chatman Thomsen, American lawyer
- Lynn Thomsen, American football player.
- Mads Thomsen, Danish professional football forward
- Mark A. Thomsen Opera singer from the U.S.A.
- Marlene Thomsen, Danish badminton player
- Martha Thomsen, American model
- Martinus Thomsen, Danish writer and mystic
- Moritz Thomsen, American farmer and writer
- Philipp Thomsen, a perpetually drunken Kriegsmarine submarine commander in the book and film Das Boot
- Søren Ulrik Thomsen, Danish poet
- Stu Thomsen, American bicycle motocross (BMX) racer
- Sven Thomsen, Danish sailor
- Tina Thomsen, Danish-born Australian actress
- Tue Bjørn Thomsen (1972–2006), Danish professional boxer
- Ulrich Thomsen, Danish actor
- Vern Thomsen, American college football coach
- Vilhelm Thomsen (1842–1927), Danish linguist
- Hanks, Hardcastle and Hodges, Oxford Dictionary of First Names, Oxford University Press, 2nd edition, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1, p.260.
- "Thomsen surname meaning, origin, etymology and distribution in Great Britain". britishsurnames.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- "Surname: Thomsen". surnamedb.com. Name Origin Research. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Thomsen. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|