Thornton High School (Colorado)
|Thornton High School|
Take Responsibility. Honor Each Other. Strive for Success.
|9351 North Washington Street
Thornton, CO 80221
|Type||Public High School|
|School district||Adams 12 Five Star Schools|
|Number of students||1,819|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue and White|
|Athletics conference||EMAC - East Metro Athletic Conference |
Thornton High School, in Thornton, Colorado, serves nearly 2,000 students with approximately 130 staff members.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Curriculum
- 4 Athletics
- 5 Publications
- 6 Extracurricular activities
- 7 Alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Merritt Hutton Junior-Senior High School served the communities of Northglenn and Thornton until the early 1970s, when it was scaled back to a junior high program and high school students began being served by two new high schools. Thornton High School opened in 1974.
The district's Five Star Stadium is adjacent to the school.
Middle Years Programme
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Programme (MYP) is an educational programme intended for students aged approximately 11 to 16 (grades 6–10 in International Schools, the United States, Canada and Australia). Thus, in the United States the programme is often taught throughout the middle school years and the first two years of high school. Typically, middle schools and high schools work in coordination with each other when the programme can not be entirely hosted within one combined school. However, Willams Middle School, in Tampa, Florida and later, Herbert Ammons Middle School, Miami, Florida, have been granted the authority to host the a full MYP curriculum in only grades 6, 7, and 8. The full programme lasts 5 years although more limited programmes can be adopted with permission from the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO). Official MYP documentation is available from the IBO in English, French, Spanish and Chinese.
The IBO contends that the MYP programme naturally prepares students for the IB Diploma Programme (DP) and there are significant parallels in structure and philosophy.
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) is an educational programme examined in one of three languages (English, French or Spanish) and is a university entrance course. It is taught in 2,075 schools, often in international schools, in 125 countries (as of 2007). More than half of the schools offering the Diploma Programme are state funded schools. The programme, administered by the International Baccalaureate Organization, is the most widely recognized pre-university educational programme. However, it remains less popular than nationally affiliated preparatory programs in most countries, such as that of the Advanced Placement examination system in the United States, the A-level in the United Kingdom, the HSC (higher school certificate) in Australia or Advanced Highers system in Scotland.
State championship titles:
- Girls' basketball: 1980 (AAA), 1988 (4A)
- Cheerleading all year
Goulash is the school's literary magazine.
The Trojan Voice
The Trojan Voice is the school's newspaper.
YBK is an abbreviation for Yearbook that was created in the 2005–06 school year. The official name is Retrospect.
The marching band is known as the Marching Trojans.
- Big Brother/Big Sister
- Black Student Union
- Bowling Club
- Chess Club
- Choir Select
- Climbing Club
- Dance Club
- Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA)
- Diversity Leadership
- Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)
- Fashion Design Club
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
- French Club
- Future Business Leaders of America
- Gay Straight Alliance (GSA)
- IB Student Union
- Key Club
- Knowledge Bowl
- Latino Leaders
- National Honor Society
- Outdoor Education Leaders
- Penscapes Writing Club
- Ski & Snowboard Club
- Speech and Debate
- Spirit Squad
- Student Congress
- Students for Justice
- Winter Guard
- World Affairs Challenge
- Yugioh[clarification needed]
- John Balistreri (1980), sculptor
- Melissa Holliday, January 1995 Playboy Playmate of the Month
- Gale Norton (Merritt Hutton HS 1972), Colorado Attorney General (1991–1999), US Secretary of the Interior (2001–2006)
- "Thornton High School". Colorado High School Activities Association. Retrieved 2007-08-31.
- Kreck, Dick (1994-12-05). "Parking fee makes bad impression". Denver Post. p. F-8. "Melissa Holliday, Playboy magazine's Miss January and a graduate of Thornton High School, autographs copies of the magazine at Aurora Newsland. . ."
- Briggs, Bill (1994-02-13). "Rising Star". Denver Post. p. 12 (magazine).