December 29, 1957 |
Gifhorn, West Germany
|Alma mater||University of Hannover|
|Occupation||CEO of Powermat Technologies, former CEO of BlackBerry Ltd|
Thorsten Heins is a German businessman and the former chief executive officer of BlackBerry Ltd. He was replaced as CEO on November 4, 2013 by John S. Chen. He is now the CEO of Powermat Technologies.
Early life and education
Prior to his position as CEO and President of BlackBerry, Heins held several positions in the wireless technology industry including the chief technology officer of Siemens' Communications Division and several general management positions in hardware and software businesses.
Heins joined RIM (Currently BlackBerry) in 2007. He rose through the ranks starting as senior vice president of BlackBerry Handheld Business Unit; chief operating officer of product engineering; and finally chief operating officer of product and sales since July 2011 before becoming CEO and President.
In January 2012 he was named to succeed company co-founders Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis as president and CEO. During his time as CEO, the company continued to struggle in a rapidly changing market. In 2012, Heins was named Cantech Letter’s 2012 TSX Executive of the Year and ranked a year later as third on a list of the worst CEOs of 2013. Heins was replaced by John Chen, a veteran Silicon Valley executive, during a November 2013 management shakeup and left the company with a $22 million severance.
- "Former BlackBerry CEO Heins Named Chairman of Startup Powermat". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- [dead link]
- Thorsten Gerhard Heins. "Thorsten Heins: Executive Profile & Biography - BusinessWeek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "Thorsten Heins: Cantech Letter’s 2012 TSX Executive of the Year". Cantech Letter. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- "The worst CEOs of 2013". BBC. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- Nov 4, 2012 12:32 PM EST (2013-11-04). "BlackBerry fires CEO Thorsten Heins as $4.7bn Fairfax rescue bid collapses". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
Jim Balsillie/Mike Lazaridis (co-chairs)
John S. Chen
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Thorsten Heins|