|Developer(s)||OpenRoad Communications Ltd.|
|Stable release||5.5 / June 5, 2012|
|Type||Intranet, knowledge management, blog, wiki|
ThoughtFarmer was originally created in 2005 as intranet software for Intrawest Placemaking, a division of Intrawest. The goal of the project was to replace the existing static intranet with a site that would "turn every user into a contributor", inspired by Wikipedia. Since then, ThoughtFarmer progressed through several iterations and was developed into product.
Early versions of ThoughtFarmer included features such as profiles, commenting, tagging, search, recent activity tracker, news feed on the home page, document management, wiki-style content editing and revision control, Microsoft integration, organizational chart, rich-text editor, and an employee directory. More recent releases include a single-tenanted hosted version, a mobile-optimized interface, and highly visual page types such as photo galleries and forums.
ThoughtFarmer version 3.0 saw the addition of blogs, discussion forums, calendars, and RSS feeds. Multilingual support with a localized interface and automatic translation features were also added. As of June 3, 2012, the latest supported languages for ThoughtFarmer 3.5 are English, French, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Dutch.
ThoughtFarmer 3.5 added a Microsoft Exchange integration feature that supported archiving of e-mail distribution lists on the intranet, as well as an improved employee directory with filters, and tree-view navigation.
ThoughtFarmer 3.6 was released on January 13, 2010. Version 3.6 saw the introduction of three new enhancements: Personalized Home Pages, Search Filters and customizable Groups.
ThoughtFarmer 3.7 was released on June 1, 2010. Version 3.7 introduced forms based authentication, multi-file uploading, and improved pasting from Microsoft Word.
ThoughtFarmer 4.0 was released on Dec 8, 2010. Version 4.0 offered improved attachment editing, intranet analytics, a new API, and a feature to convert Microsoft Word documents into HTML pages. Version 4.0 also introduced integration between ThoughtFarmer and Microsoft SharePoint 2010.
ThoughtFarmer 4.5 was released on Jun 15, 2011. Version 4.5 introduced ThoughtFarmer's Cloud Edition - a single-tenanted, hosted option. It also featured a new expertise locator, ability to create "regular" (non-AD) users, an export to Microsoft Word feature, improved calendars, enhanced tagging and "forgot password" feature.
ThoughtFarmer 5.0 was released Oct 12, 2011. Version 5.0 introduced ThoughtFarmer Mobile a mobile-optimized version of the software. It also introduced the ThoughtFarmer Integration Kit which extends the REST API's functionality, as well as other improvements to feeds, translation, sharing, and drag and drop image uploading.
ThoughtFarmer 5.5 was released Jun 5, 2012 and is the latest stable release. It features improved photo galleries, forums, and a new application toolbar providing quick access to recently viewed pages, favorites and users' profile pages. Version 5.5 also includes Active Directory sync with ThoughtFarmer Cloud and increased accessibility for visually impaired users.
According to the ThoughtFarmer home page, basic server requirements are as follows:
- "ThoughtFarmer 5.5 release notes". Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- "CMSWire.com - Social Intranet Software to Get Your Company Collaborating (June 1, 2009)".
- "WikiMatrix - ThoughtFarmer Record (August 17, 2009)".
- "Gartner - Magic Quadrant for Social Software (October 31, 2008)".
- "Forrester - Seven Steps to Selecting a High Value Enterprise Wiki (December 17, 2008)".
- "Vancouver Sun - It's veni, vidi, wiki at Intrawest (October 31, 2006)".
- "Socialtext Cases 2.0 - Intrawest Wiki Intranet Case Study (August 17, 2009)".
- "ThoughtFarmer powers Mountain Equipment Co-op intranet".
- "ReadWrite Enterprise - ThoughtFarmer, Cultivating Social Intranet Software (June 3, 2009)".
- "LLRX.com - Collaboration Through Wikis at Hicks Morley (January 29, 2009)".
- "the app gap - ThoughtFarmer -- Intranet 2.0 (July 1, 2008)".
- "Workplace Magazine - ThoughtFarmer Intranet 3.0 Multilingual now available (August 17, 2009)".
- "ThoughtFarmer 3.0 Multilingual".
- "Intranet Journal - Harvest Good Ideas with ThoughtFarmer (August 3, 2009)".
- "ThoughtFarmer 3.5: Introducing Social Intranet Software".
- "ThoughtFarmer 3.6: Relevant Home Pages, Easier Searching and Customizable Groups".
- "ThoughtFarmer 3.7: New features just for IT managers".
- "ThoughtFarmer 4.0: Social Intranet, meet document management".
- "ThoughtFarmer 4.5: In the Cloud".
- "ThoughtFarmer 5.0: An Intranet in Your Pants".
- "ThoughtFarmer 5.5: Gorgeous, Effortless, Engaging".
- "Active directory basic settings for Cloud or DMZ secure installations".
- "Will ThoughtFarmer work for you? (June 7, 2012)".