Three Springs, Western Australia
Three Springs railway station and grain silo, 2013.
|Population||395 (2006 Census)|
|Elevation||257 m (843 ft)|
Three Springs is located 313 km north of Perth, Western Australia on the Midlands Road. The town is the seat of the Shire of Three Springs; wheat farming is the main industry of both the town and the Shire.
The first Europeans to pass through the Three Springs area were Lieutenant George Grey and his party in 1839. The next exploration of the area in 1846 was undertaken by brothers Henry, Francis and Augustus Gregory. This was a government sponsored trip to seek out new ‘runs’ for stock.
During 1867, while surveyor Charles Cooke Hunt was undertaking a road survey, he recorded the words ‘Three Springs’ at the site of the current town after some nearby springs. The name began to appear on official maps from then on and land in this region was soon taken up for pastoral leasing.
In 1907 the government decided to declare a townsite adjacent to the Three Springs Station, and it was gazetted as Kadathinni in 1908. It was also intended to change the name of the station when the townsite was named, but this was overlooked, and it remained Three Springs. The townsite was also locally known as Three Springs, and in 1946 the name was officially changed to Three Springs to conform with local usage.
Banksia trifontinalis (Three Springs Dryandra) is named after this town, in the vicinity of which it was first collected.
Wheat farming is the main industry of Three Springs and its surrounding Shire.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Three Springs (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 14 September 2008.
- Jarvis, Neil (1986) Western Australia, an atlas of human endeavour Perth, W.A.: Dept. of Lands and Surveys in association with the Education Dept. of Western Australia 2nd ed. ISBN 0-7309-0082-7 Previous ed.: Perth, W.A.: Government Printer, 1979. p. 46
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names". Retrieved 11 February 2007.
- "Country elevators". The West Australian (Perth: National Library of Australia). 6 July 1932. p. 10. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- Shire of Three Springs
- Early History of Three Springs
- Three Springs Cemetery
- Biographical Dictionary of Coorow, Carnamah and Three Springs