Through the Fire (song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
|"Through the Fire"|
|Single by Chaka Khan|
|from the album I Feel for You|
|B-side||"I'm Every Woman", "La Flamme"|
|Format||7", 12", 12" picture disc|
|Genre||R&B, quiet storm, adult contemporary|
|Writer(s)||David Foster, Tom Keane, Cynthia Weil|
|Chaka Khan singles chronology|
"Through the Fire" is a song from Chaka Khan's 1984 album, I Feel for You. The David Foster-produced track was the third single from the album. It reached #60 in the US and #15 on the R&B charts, and was one of the few Khan hits to cross to the Adult Contemporary chart. The music video was filmed at Los Angeles' Union Station.
Foster revealed in his 2011 PBS Concert "The Hit Man Returns" that this was the only melody that he ever wrote with someone in mind and that the working title of the piece was actually called "Chaka" because he was very confident that Khan would perform the song.
- The song was covered by Nicki French on her second album in 1997.
- Filipina R&B singer Nina covered it in 2005 for her love songs live album, Nina Live!.
- Filipina soul singer Jaya covered the song on her 2007 album Cool Change.
- Covered by Melinda Doolittle, "Through the Fire" was included as a bonus track on her 2009 album Coming Back to You.
- The song was performed by contestant Siobhan Magnus on the ninth season of American Idol.
- Spanish salsa singer La India made a cover of this song in 1997 called "Sobre el Fuego" from the album of the same name.
- Contemporary jazz saxophonist Michael Lington covered the song from his 2002 album Everything Must Change.
- Quiet storm singer Peabo Bryson covered it on his album Through the Fire.
- Norwegian jazz-funk singer Ole Borud covered it on the album Fly Away - The Songs of David Foster.
- The song was covered by American Idol's Top 8 Redux finalist Malaya Watson on "80's Week" theme night. She is the youngest person in Idol's history to make live finals; however, she was eliminated the night after she performed this song live.
|This 1980s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|