Thurber Prize for American Humor
The Thurber Prize for American Humor, named after American humorist James Thurber, recognizes outstanding contributions in humor writing. The prize is given out by the Thurber House. It was first awarded irregularly, but since 2004 has been bestowed annually.
- Al Franken (finalist) — Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot and Other Observations
- David Sedaris (finalist) — Naked
- 1999: The Onion editorial staff (winner) — Our Dumb Century
- 2001: David Sedaris (winner) — Me Talk Pretty One Day
- Henry Alford (Special Honor Book) — Big Kiss
- Andy Borowitz (finalist) — The Trillionaire Next Door
- Bill Bryson (finalist) — In a Sunburned Country
- Brett Leveridge (finalist) — Men My Mother Dated
- Jim Mullen (finalist) — It Takes a Village Idiot
- 2005: Jon Stewart, Ben Karlin, David Javerbaum and the writing staff of The Daily Show (winner) — America (The Book)
- Andy Borowitz (finalist) — The Borowitz Report: The Big Book of Shockers
- Firoozeh Dumas (finalist) — Funny in Farsi
- Kinky Friedman (finalist) — Texas Hold 'Em: How I Was Born in a Manger, Died in the Saddle, and Came Back as a Horny Toad
- Bill Scheft (finalist) — Time Won't Let Me
- Merrill Markoe (finalist) — Walking In Circles Before Lying Down
- Bob Newhart (finalist) — I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This!: And Other Things That Strike Me As Funny
- Patricia Marx (finalist) — Him Her Him Again The End of Him
- Simon Rich (finalist) — Ant Farm: And Other Desperate Situations
- Sloane Crosley (finalist) — I Was Told There'd Be Cake
- Bruce Ducker (finalist) Dizzying Heights: The Aspen Novel
- Don Lee (finalist) — Wrack and Ruin
- Laurie Notaro (finalist) — The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death
- Jancee Dunn (finalist) — Why Is My Mother Getting a Tattoo?
- Rhoda Janzen (finalist) — Mennonite in a Little Black Dress
- Mike Birbiglia (finalist) — Sleepwalk With Me and Other Painfully True Stories
- Rick Reilly (finalist) — Sports from Hell
- 2013: Dan Zevin (winner) — Dan Gets a Minivan
- Shalom Auslander (finalist) — Hope: A Tragedy
- Dave Barry and Alan Zweibel (finalists) — Lunatics: A Novel
- "2001 Thurber Prize for American Humor". Thurber House. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- "'Frasier' Writer Wins Literary Award," Associated Press, October 3, 2007.