Thursday Nights, Channel 5
"Thursday Nights, Channel 5" is an English football chant to the tune of "Tom Hark". It is mainly sung to antagonise supporters of the other team for playing in or dropping into the UEFA Europa League which, up until 2012, was shown on Channel 5 in the UK.
Channel 5 first gained the rights to show UEFA Cup matches in 2008. Since then, the chant developed and is used to insinuate that the team it is aimed at is playing in a less prestigious competition to the UEFA Champions League. In 2012, Channel 5 did not renew the rights deal to show the Europa League, which then went to ESPN and ITV4 from the 2012–13 season.
The chant has been directed at clubs such as Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur for playing in the Europa League instead of the Champions League. It has also been used by fans of German club, Bayern Munich against Manchester City because of the latter dropping out of the 2011–12 UEFA Champions League.
Before a Europa League match between Fulham and Odense, Football on 5 presenters Jim Rosenthal and Stan Collymore were broadcast singing the chant during a highlights montage. Up until then, the chant was perceived as having negative connotations towards Channel 5.
In 2011, Chelsea defender Ashley Cole shouted "Thursday night, Channel 5" at Manchester City players after Manchester City were knocked out of the Champions League, which almost provoked a fight in the Stamford Bridge tunnel.
The chant has also been considered an insult to opposing fans. Manchester United player, Patrice Evra was said to be embarrassed by the chant's statement of Manchester United playing in the 2011–12 UEFA Europa League.
- Mark Sweney (2011-10-17). "ITV snatches Europa League from Channel 5". Guardian. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- Ben Dowell. "Uefa Cup: Channel Five signs three-year deal". Guardian. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Thursday Nights, Channel 5: The Sad Demise of The UEFA Cup". Stateofthegame.co.uk. 2012-02-16. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- Rik Sharma (2011-12-08). "Channel 5 for Manchester United and Manchester City in Europa League". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- Rory Smith (2009-12-18). "Liverpool, Everton and Fulham in good company in Europa League". Telegraph. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Sir Alex Ferguson blasted by Michel Platini over Europa League". Daily Mail. 2011-12-09. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Stan Collymore and Jim Rosenthal sing 'Thursday night, Channel 5'". Daily Mail. 2011-12-15. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- Marioni, Massimo (2012-04-20). "Stan Collymore and Jim Rosenthal embrace 'Thursday nights, Channel 5' chant". Metro. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Chelsea Manchester City tunnel row: Ashley Cole shouted Thursday Nights Channel 5 at beaten rivals to spark post-match fracas claim eye-witnesses". Daily Mirror. 2011-12-13. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- Andrew Anthony and David Baddiel (2008-10-24). "Is British football scared of brains?". Guardian. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- Dominic Raynor (2011-12-10). "Adriano laid low, Utd a laughing stock". ESPN. Retrieved 2012-05-31.