Tibetan Delek Hospital
|Tibetan Delek Hospital|
The Tibetan Delek Hospital is a Tibetan hospital founded in 1971 and located in Dharamsala in Northern India. It serves the Tibetan residents, and local community in the region, including tourists from around the world. It practices social assistance, mainly using allopathic Western medicine. Delek Hospital is managed by the Ministry of Health of the Tibetan government in exile. Dr. Tsetan Sadutshang Dorji is the director.
Delek Hospital was built through donations and provide care at a low cost to patients, while taking care of low-income patients.
It was founded in 1971 by the Dalai Lama to give allopathic medical care to Tibetan refugees and the Indian community living in Dharamsala, a city of Northern India.
In June 2008, the Delek hospital began a program to improve the control of tuberculosis in the Tibetan diaspora, supported by the Johns Hopkins University with the participation of Dr. Zorba Paster and Richard Chaissonet, and the Associazione Italiana per la Solidarietà fra i Popoli (AISPO).
The Rotary Club of Sunshine, based in Australia, participates in the financing of the program of tuberculosis control for Tibetan refugees.
The hospital includes:
- 45 beds, in three services which one is for tuberculosis patients.
- a home for the elderly
- a delivery room
- a bioassay laboratory
- a pharmacy
- equipment: an endoscopy room, x-ray, ultrasound device (a radiologist is present 2 days of the week)
- a surgery room using the services of volunteer surgeons a few weeks in the year.
The hospital staff, composed of Tibetans, speak Tibetan, Hindi and English, includes:
- 4 permanent doctors
- a biologist
- a pharmacist
- 2 dentists
- cooks for patients
The hospital is equipped with a conference room for meetings of hospital staff and conferences (ministers Tibetan Buddhist philosophy and traditional medicine).
- Oren Family, Volunteering in India, IsraAid
- Bertrand Odelys, Dharamsala, Chroniques tibétaines, Albin Michel, 2003, ISBN 2226142592, p 140
- Oorganisation de l’Administration Tibétaine en exil, 18 avril 2007
- Tsetan Dorji Sadutshang
- (English) Richard Finney, Tibetan Groups Petition WHO for Hospital Award Radio Free Asia, 2013-12-30
- Betsy McKay, TB Prize Selection Gets Caught in Politics, Wall Street Journal, 26 novembre 2013
- Delek Hospital details Plan to Combat TB in the Tibetan Community
- Health Department holds conference to control TB in Tibetan community, 11 October 2010
- The Rotarian sept. 2005, p 26 "[…] the Rotary Club of Sunshine, Australia, funds a tuberculosis control program for Tibetan refugees at Delek Hospital in Dharamsala, India."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tibetan Delek Hospital.|
- Friends of Tibetan Delek Hospital (les amis de l'hôpital Delek)
- Joël Gagnon, Des ordinateurs pour les médecins de Dharamsala
- Doeguling Tibetan Resettlement Hospital (DTR), Mundgod
- SHECHEN CLINIC AND HOSPICE