|Single by Brad Paisley|
|from the album 5th Gear|
|Released||March 12, 2007|
|Format||CD single, music download|
|Length||4:33 (Album Version)
3:58 (Single Version)
|Brad Paisley singles chronology|
"Ticks" is the title of a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Brad Paisley. It was released in March 2007 as the first single from the album 5th Gear. It reached the top of the Billboard Hot Country Songs Chart and was featured as a downloadable track for the video game Guitar Hero: World Tour. Paisley wrote this song with Kelley Lovelace and Tim Owens.
The song's main character is at a bar, attempting to pick up a date. In doing so, he uses several humorous pickup lines, such as "I'd like to check you for ticks."
Paisley stated that the song is not about blood-sucking insects but in fact a guy flirting with a gal. Paisley was inspired to write the song from experience working on a farm, “Working out here on the farm, I literally have to check for ticks every time I come in from the woods or the fields,” he notes. “Now, if a young guy who lives in the country were to take a girl into the woods for any reason, it would totally cross his mind that she’s going to have to check for ticks when they come back out. So it seems that an enterprising guy would at least consider that he could offer to check for her.”
Kevin John Coyne, reviewing the song for Country Universe, gave it a C- rating. While he says that the production is good, "this may be the very first mainstream country single to completely skeeze me out." 
|This section requires expansion. (June 2009)|
A music video was released to promote the single. It shows Brad and his band live in concert singing the song.
- Ron Block - banjo
- Randle Currie - steel guitar
- Eric Darken - percussion
- Kevin "Swine" Grantt - bass & upright bass
- Wes Hightower - background vocals
- Gary Hokker - baritone & 12 string guitar
- Gordon Mote - clavinet
- Brad Paisley - lead vocals, lead and rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, Tic tac bass
- Ben Sesar - drums
- Justin Williamson - mandolin
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||33|
|US Billboard Hot 100||40|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||20|
"Find Out Who Your Friends Are"
by Tracy Lawrence
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
June 30, 2007
by Montgomery Gentry
- Brad Paisley biography at Arista Nashville website. Retrieved 30 Aug 2009
- Coyne, Kevin John (2007-03-09). "Brad Paisley - "Ticks"". Country Universe. Retrieved 2010-06-17.[dead link]
- "Brad Paisley Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Brad Paisley. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Brad Paisley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Brad Paisley. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Brad Paisley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Brad Paisley. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Best of 2007: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2007. Retrieved December 13, 2007.
|This 2000s country song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|