|30th Minister of Communication and Informatics of Indonesia|
October 22 2009
|President||Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono|
|Preceded by||Mohammad Nuh|
|3rd President of Prosperous Justice Party|
October 11 2004 – October 22 2009
|Preceded by||Hidayat Nur Wahid|
|Succeeded by||Luthfi Hasan Ishaaq|
September 28, 1961 |
Bukittinggi, West Sumatra, Indonesia
Tifatul Sembiring (born Bukitinggi, West Sumatra, 28 September 1961) is an Indonesian politician. He is chairman of the moderate and Islamic Prosperous Justice Party and Minister of Communication and Information in the Second United Indonesia Cabinet. He has a degree in computer engineering from the Information and Computing Management School (Indonesian: Sekolah Tinggi Ilmu Manajemen Informatika dan Komputer), Jakarta, and was active in a number of Indonesian Islamic organisations from his student days, such as PII, the Indonesian Student's Association
Life and Family
His father is Karo and moved to Bukittinggi where he married a Minangkabau woman. Tifatul is the head of the big family in Guguak Tabek Sarojo, Agam, West Sumatra by the title Datuk Tumangguang. He is married to Sri Rahayu and has seven children: Sabriana, Fathan, Ibrahim, Yusuf, Fatimah, Muhammad and Abdurrahman Sembiring.
His ambition to filter the internet for 'negative' content, shelved in early 2010 in the face of broad opposition, may be revived after a celebrity sex scandal centred on Ariel (Nazril Irham), which Sembiring controversially linked to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. The move apparently has the backing of president Dr Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and would involve a blacklist of offensive material monitored by a special task force.
He has also linked pornography to HIV/Aids and said that funding to fight the disease was a waste of money, also stating that the widespread availability of Indonesian pornography, mostly featuring students, caused natural disasters.
- [dead link]
- "United Indonesia Cabinet 2009-2014". The Jakarta Post. 2009-10-22. p. 3.
- "Cabinet 2009: Communications and IT, Tifatul Sembiring". The Jakarta Globe. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- Tifatul Sembiring Kini Bergelar Datuk, Vivanews.com
- Agence France-Presse (23 Jun 2010). "Pop star detained in Indonesia's first celebrity sex video scandal". SCMP. Retrieved 25 Jun 2010.
- Agence France-Presse (19 Jun 2010). "Indonesian leader backs Web filter on porn". SCMP. Retrieved 25 Jun 2010.
- "Immorality has caused disasters : Minister". Antara News. 2009-11-27. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Tifatul quotes Adolf Hitler on Twitter". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Minister Admits Reluctant Michelle Obama Handshake". NPR. Associated Press. November 9, 2010.
|Minister of Communication and Information
Hidayat Nur Wahid
|Chairman of Prosperous Justice Party
Luthfi Hasan Ishaaq