Tiffany (South Korean singer)
|Birth name||Stephanie Young Hwang|
|Also known as||Tiffany, Mi-Young|
August 1, 1989 |
San Francisco, California, U.S.
|Genres||K-Pop, Pop, R&B, hip hop, dance-pop|
|Occupations||Singer, TV presenter, promotional model, rapper, dancer, actress|
Universal Music Japan
|Associated acts||Girls' Generation
|Revised Romanization||Seutepani Hwahng|
|Revised Romanization||Hwahng Mi-yeong|
Stephanie Young Hwang (Korean name: Hwang Mi-young; born August 1, 1989), known by the stage name Tiffany (Korean: 티파니; Japanese: ティファニー), is an American-born South Korean singer, TV presenter, promotional model, rapper, dancer and actress. She is a member of the South Korean girl group Girls' Generation.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Endorsements
- 6 Awards
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Tiffany was born in San Francisco, California, in the same hospital as fellow band-mate Jessica Jung. Although both born in California, the two would coincidentally end up attending and graduating from the same high school in Seoul, Korea Kent Foreign School, during their preparations for debut in the same group. Tiffany grew up in Diamond Bar, California, attending South Pointe Middle School and Diamond Bar High School.
Tiffany was scouted whilst performing on stage in her home country. She was invited to audition at the SM Entertainment Starlight Casting System and joined the company on October 2004 in Los Angeles, California at age 15. Despite initial objections from her father, she recalls packing up her former life and moving to South Korea after receiving the permission to do so within three weeks of making the decision. She trained for 3 years and 7 months before debuting.
Tiffany is the youngest of three siblings. Her older sister studied anthropology at Berkeley. For much of her early career when approached with the topic of mothers or family, Tiffany would often refer to her father or both parents; on a radio broadcast she stated that she missed her mother who was far away and she had not seen her in some time. However, in late 2009 she said for the first time in public that her mother had already died. She later said that her mother had died two years before she herself became a trainee, and that she is somewhat distant with her father, all of her immediate family living overseas. In August 2009 Tiffany was absent from a group filming in order to fly to the US and attend the funeral of her grandfather.
In 2008, Tiffany was diagnosed with vocal nodules, wherein a mass of tissue grows on the vocal folds due to strain or overuse. The condition gave her dysphonia, causing a hoarseness in her voice as well as affecting the range of her singing voice. After receiving treatment her voice returned to normalcy, but the condition began affecting her voice even more drastically throughout the latter half of 2009, causing her to take a break from activities to receive hospital treatment in September. She also experienced difficulties due to the disorder mid-2010, a company representative stating she would be taking a short hiatus while she was hospitalized again. While treatment has been successful, Tiffany has stated that her current voice is different from her voice previous to contracting vocal nodules, although it is not necessarily something she views as a bad thing.
Throughout her career Tiffany has suffered several injuries requiring medical attention. She fell after a performance of "Gee", injuring her left ankle and being put in a cast. Tiffany continued to perform with the group, albeit either sitting or standing to the side stationary. Tiffany also suffered a wrist injury while filming for Let's Go Dream Team in early 2010 and was seen wearing a cast while continuing activities. In August 2010, Tiffany suffered an injury to her right ankle after taking a fall during the SMTown Live '10 World Tour in Seoul. Although not a serious injury, she was put in a cast in order to make sure she would be healed enough to perform at Girls' Generation's upcoming Japanese showcase. She suffered a more severe fall two months later during another performance, injuring her posterior cruciate ligament. Due to this, she was withdrawn from the group's promotions of "Hoot", her absence from the spotlight lasting almost a month until she returned to join her fellow group-mates activities in Japan. The issue of Tiffany's return after injury was a topic of great interest within both the Korean and Japanese media.
Tiffany serves as a vocalist of the group. Tiffany is also a member of a Girls' Generation's sub-group, Girls' Generation-TTS along with Taeyeon and Seohyun. Their first mini-album "Twinkle (EP)" was released on 2 May 2012.
Solo singing career
In 2008, she released two singles with fellow Girls' Generation members Jessica and Seohyun — the first called "Oppa Nappa" ("오빠 나빠", "Bad Boy") and the second titled "Mabinogi (It's Fantastic!)", a theme song for a video game.
Show hosting career
Apart from all her solo works, Tiffany was the co-host of Mnet's Sonyeon Sonyeo Gayo Baekseo (Korean: 소년소녀 가요백서), along with Kim Hyesung from November 5, 2007 to June 13, 2008. Tiffany, along with fellow Girls' Generation member Yuri, was an MC on MBC's Show! Music Core. She left after a farewell on July 31, 2010 to focus on Girls’ Generation's debuting in Japan.
On September 5, 2009, she was an MC for the 2009 Incheon Korean Music Wave with Yuri & announcer Oh Sang-jin.
On August 29, 2010, she was an MC for the 2010 Incheon Korean Music Wave with Yuri & announcer Oh Sang-jin.
On December 25, 2010, she hosted Christmas Show! Music Core alongside fellow member, Yuri. She was an MC for the 2010 SBS Gayo Daejeon award ceremony which was held on December 31 at the MBC Dream Center with Yuri and actor Ryu Si Won.
She was also the MC for the 50th Anniversary Music Wave Concert which was held on March 12, 2011 together with Yuri and Nichkhun.
On August 13, 2011, she was the MC for 2011 Incheon Korean Music Wave together with Yuri and also for K-Pop All Star Live in Niigata which was held on August 20, 2011 together with Yuri & Sooyoung.
On October 11, 2011, Yuri and Tiffany returned to "Show! Music Core" as permanent MCs after a 1 year and 3 months absence.
On November 12, 2011, she was an MC for K-POP Music Festival in Sydney together with Yuri.
On November 10, 2012 Tiffany, along with Yonghwa of CNBLUE, and Kikwang of Beast, co-hosted the 2012 SBS Kpop Super Concert held at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Irvine, California where numerous stars, including Girls' Generation, Beast, and CNBLUE have performed.
On September 1, 2013, Yuri and Tiffany returned as MCs for the 2013 Incheon Korean Music Wave, which makes it their 4th year as MCs for the event.
It was announced that Tiffany and Yuri will be special MCs for Show! Music Core's 400th episode which will be broadcast on March 8, 2014.
From November 25, 2011 to January 29, 2012, Hwang played Carmen Diaz in the musical Fame along with Eunhyuk of Super Junior, Son Ho Young, Go Eun Seong, Kim Chan Ho, Shin Ui Jeong, Lina of The Grace, Choi Ju Ri, KoN and Kim Jung Mo of TRAX.
On September 23, 2013, SBS announced that they will showcase a new show called 'Fashion King Korea' which will be a fashion contest among celebrities. Tiffany is one of the 8 celebrities chosen to be fixed members of the show along with SISTAR's Bora, singer Yoon Gun, Lee Ji-hoon, Kim Na Young, Boom, Lim Dong Wook and Choo Mi Rim. The show began filming on October 2 and will premiere on November 17.
Soundtrack appearances, collaborations and solo performances
|2007||SBS Thirty Thousand Miles in Search of My Son||"Touch the Sky"||03:49||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|2008||Emotional Bandaid||"Oppa Nappa"||03:45||With Jessica and Seohyun|
|Mabinogi OST||"It's Fantastic"||03:40||With Jessica and Seohyun|
|N/A||"Holding Hands"||03:54||With Jessica, Tiffany, Super Junior, SS501, Jewelry, Brown Eyed Girls, Lee Hyun, T.G.U.S|
|KBS Hong Gildong OST||"The Little Boat (작은 배)"||03:27||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|The Secret, Between Us||"Secret"||03:30||Narrator of Kim Dong-wan's song|
|2009||SBS Princess Ja Myung Go||"By Myself"||04:14||Solo|
|Dropping the Tears||"A Girl, Meets Love"||03:50||Duet with K.Will|
|The First Memories||"Feeling Only You (너만을 느끼며)"||03:26||With Sooyoung and The Blue|
|MBC Heading to the Ground OST||"Motion"||04:06||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|N/A||"Cabi Song"||03:19||With Jessica, Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny, Yuri, Chansung, Junsu, Taecyeon|
|N/A||"Cooky"||02:50||With Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|My Friend Haechi||"Haechi Song" (해치송) ||03:26||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny and Seohyun|
|2012||Love Rain||"Because It's You"||03:19||Solo|
|To the Beautiful You||"Rise and Shine"||04:01||With Kyuhyun|
|2013||All About My Romance||"One Step Closer"||04:16||Solo|
|SBS Gayo Daejun: Friendship Project||"You Are A Miracle"||06:11||With Various Artists|
|2014||Final Recipe OST||"Good Life"||With Henry Lau|
|2012||I AM. – SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||As BoolGwangDong (seven princess) (cameo)|
Television reality shows
|2008||Kko Kko Tour||All|
|2009||Family Outing||81 & 82|
|2010||We Got Married Season 1||42, 45 & 49|
|Family Outing 2||8 & 9|
|We Got Married Season 2||40, 51, 52 & 69 (On Stage)|
|2013||Strong Heart||165 & 166|
|Fashion King Korea||All (Judge)|
Television shows hosting
|2007–2008||Mnet's Sonyeon Sonyeo Gayo Baekseo||Co-hosted along with Kim Hye-seong|
|2009–2010; 2011–2013||MBC Show! Music Core||Co-hosted along with Yuri (2009–2010; 2011–2012)
Co-hosted along with Taeyeon and Seohyun (2012–2013)
Radio shows hosting
|2013||MBC SJ Shin Dong's Shim Shim Ta Pa||Guest DJ together with Taeyeon (fill-in for Shindong)|
Music video appearances
|2008||"Mabinogi(It's Fantastic!)"||Alongside with Jessica and Seohyun||As herself|
|"Love Hate"||Jessica, Tiffany and Seohyun|
|"It's Fantastic!"||Tiffany, Jessica and Seohyun|
|"Haptic Motion"||Jessica, Yoona and Tiffany|
|2010||"Caribbean Bay"||Girls' Generation & 2PM||As herself|
Aside from her endorsements alongside Girls' Generation, Tiffany has also endorsed the following brands:
|2008||SK Telecom 1682 Collect Call|
|Samsung Anycall Haptic|
|2010||Biotherm Aquasource 1,2,3|
|2011||Dior Snow||With Sooyoung, Yuri, Sunny, Hyoyeon and Jessica|
|2012||Bean Pole International||Official Muse for Bean Pole|
|12plus||With Super Junior's Siwon|
|2008||Mnet 20's Choice Awards: Hot School Girl||Nominated|
|2009||Mnet Asian Music Awards: Best OST for "By Myself"||Nominated|
|2011||2011 MBC Entertainment Awards: Special Award: MC Division (with Yuri) "Show! Music Core"||Won|
- "The Birth of Stephanie Hwang". CaliforniaBirthIndex.org. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- KBS2 Win Win Episode 11, broadcast: April 20th, 2010
- (Korean) Newsen.com: 소녀시대 티파니 "LA 축제서 캐스팅", August 1, 2007
- (Korean) Chosun.com: 홀로 숙소 지키는 티파니 "이제서야 외로움이 몰려와요". February 13, 2009
- http://www.soompi.com/2010/01/12/soompi-gets-to-know-jessica-and-tiffany-of-snsd/ Soompie Gets to Know Jessica and Tiffany of SNSD
- [KBS Cool FM 슈퍼주니어 키스 더 라디오 Broadcast 14th November, 2009]
- "SNSD's Tiffany to skip Music Core this week". allkpop. 17 June 2010. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "SNSD's Tiffany is receiving treatment for her throat". allkpop. 16 June 2010. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Interview by 'The Musical'", November 14, 2011
- "SNSD's Tiffany racks up another injury". allkpop. 26 January 2010. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- (Korean) Kim Hyeong-wu. 소녀시대 티파니 “‘오빠나빠’ 활동 당시 성대결절 고생” (Girls' Generation's Tiffany: "Bad Older Brother' Activities Were Difficult on Vocal Nodules"). JoongAng Ilbo/Newsen. February 16, 2009. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- (Korean) 소녀시대 티파니 제시카 서현 게임 주제가 신곡 발표 (Girls' Generation's Tiffany/Jessica/Seohyun Announce Game Theme Song as New Single). IS Plus/Newsen. August 1, 2008. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- (Korean) StarNews: 티파니, 서현 이어 솔로 변신..'자명고' OST 참여, 김지연 기자. MoneyToday. March 25, 2009.
- "티파니 싱글 – 나 혼자서". webpage (in Korean). Maniadb.com. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- (English) The Korea Herald: Tiffany sings own without her members, March 30, 2010
- (Korean) 너만을 느끼며 (Feat. 티파니 & 수영), Cyworld
- "Girls’ Generation’s Tiffany sings “One Step” for ‘All About My Romance’ OST". allkpop. 2013-04-17. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- (Korean) 카라 한승연, 티파니 후임으로 '소년소녀가요백서' 진행. International Business Times. June 25, 2008. Retrieved April 25, 2010.
- (Korean) spn.edaily.co.kr: 티파니·유리, '음악중심' 새 MC..."샤방샤방 즐거움 드릴게요", March 28, 2009
- "소녀시대 티파니 유리, '쇼! 음악중심' 새 MC 발탁". webpage (in Korean). Media Daum.com. Retrieved March 28, 2009.
- "[09.05.09] SNSD at ‘Incheon Korean Music Wave 2009′". Soshified. 7 September 2009. Retrieved 7 September 2013.
- "2010 Incheon Korean Music Wave Red Carpet". allkpop. 29 August 2010. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Ryu Si Won, SNSD’s Tiffany & Yuri to MC for MBC’s “2010 Gayo Daejun”. Allkpop.com (2010-12-21). Retrieved on 2011-11-23.
- SNSD’s Yuri and Tiffany to MC 2011 Incheon Korean Music Wave Concert. Allkpop.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-23.
- Yuri, Tiffany & Sooyoung to MC 'Kpop All Star Live in Niigata’. Dkpopnews.net (2011-08-04). Retrieved on 2011-11-23.
- Taeyeon and Tiffany Set to MC at the 2012 Korean Music Wave in Bangkok
- "Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun Perform ‘Good-bye, Hello’ for Final Show as MCs for ‘Show! Music Core’". soshified.com. 13 April 2013. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Girls' Generation's Tiffany and Yuri to show their perfect teamwork as MCs for 'Incheon Korean Music Wave 2013'". allkpop. 8 August 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "쇼! 음악중심’ 400회 특집 민호·소현, 철이와 미애 ‘깜짝변신". http://reviewstar.hankooki.com/. 4 March 2014. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Lee, JinHo "Eunhyuk Attends ‘Fame’ Showcase" Mnet News. 7 November 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-01
- "Tiffany, Bora, Boom, and more join the cast of new competitive fashion program 'Fashion King Korea'". allkpop. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Tiffany Joins Cast of SBS’s New Fashion Competition, ‘Fashion King Korea’". Soshified. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "내친구 해치 (My Friend Haechi) [Original Soundtrack] – Single". iTunes US Apple. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- (Korean) Mnet Asian Music Awards – official website
- 2011 MBC Entertainment Awards Winner List
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tiffany.|