Tiffany (South Korean singer)
|Birth name||Stephanie Young Hwang|
|Also known as||Hwang Mi-young|
August 1, 1989 |
San Francisco, California, U.S.
|Revised Romanization||Seutepani Hwang|
|Revised Romanization||Hwang Mi-yeong|
Stephanie Young Hwang (born August 1, 1989), better known by the stage name Tiffany or by her Korean name Hwang Mi-young, is an American singer-songwriter and actress. She is a member of both the South Korean girl group, Girls' Generation and its subgroup, TTS.
Tiffany was born in San Francisco, California. She grew up in Diamond Bar, California, attending South Pointe Middle School and Diamond Bar High School. She was invited to audition at the SM Entertainment Starlight Casting System and joined the company on October 2004 in Los Angeles, California at age 15. Despite initial objections from her father, she packed up her former life and moved to South Korea after receiving permission to do so within three weeks of making the decision.
Girls' Generation is a South Korean girl group formed by S.M. Entertainment in 2007. The group originally consisted of nine members: Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona and Seohyun.
In 2013, Taeyeon and Tiffany had a duet called "Lost In Love" on the group's fourth Korean album I Got a Boy. During July of the same year, Taeyeon, Tiffany and Sunny attended Korea Day at the Dodgers Stadium in L.A., singing the national anthems of both Korea and US as well as pitching the first ball.
Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun formed a subgroup called TTS in 2012, releasing their first mini-album titled Twinkle during the same year. In 2014, they released their second mini-album titled Holler. For this release, Tiffany took an active role and served as the visual director to the overall album image and the concept of the title track's music video. The subgroup has a different musical direction and style concept from Girls' Generation, placing their focus on each member's vocal ability while the latter group emphasizes the songs and uniform group performances.
Over the life of her career, Tiffany has released several songs for various television dramas and movies. A few of them are solos, while others are collaborations with fellow Girls' Generation members and other artists. Her solos include "By Myself" for the SBS's drama Princess Ja Myung Go, "Because It's You" for the KBS2's Love Rain, and "One Step Closer" for the SBS's All About My Romance. "One Step Closer" is a ballad with dramatic melody arrangements and lyrics that include lines such as "Because I can hold you again" and "I want us to walk one step at a time, together".
Her collaborations include "Oppa Nappa" and "It's Fantastic" with fellow Girls' Generation members Jessica and Seohyun, "A Girl, Meets Love" with K.Will, "Oh! My Love to You" with bandmate Sooyoung and The Blue, and "Rise and Shine" with Super Junior's Kyuhyun for the SBS's To The Beautiful You.
Acting and television career
From 2007-2008, Tiffany appeared as the host of Mnet's Sonyeon Sonyeo Gayo Baekseo, along with Kim Hyesung. In 2009, she, along with fellow Girls' Generation member Yuri, became an MC for the MBC's music show Music Core. They left the show in July 2010 to focus on Girls’ Generation's debut in Japan, but came back in October 2011. Yuri, however, left the show again in January 2012 and Tiffany started co-hosting alongside two other Girls' Generation members, Taeyeon and Seohyun, until April 2013. They gave their farewell to the show by performing TTS's "Goodbye, Hello" as a special stage.
Tiffany was also the occasional co-host to several awards programs such as 2009 Incheon Korean Music Wave, 2010 Incheon Korean Music Wave, 2010 SBS Gayo Daejeon Award Ceremony, 50th Anniversary Music Wave Concert, 2011 Incheon Korean Music Wave, K-Pop All Star Live in Niigata, 2012 Korean Music Wave in Bangkok, K-Pop Festival in Vietnam, 2013 Incheon Korean Music Wave, and most recently the 2014 Korean Music Wave in Beijing.
From November 25, 2011 to January 29, 2012, Hwang played Carmen Diaz, a performing arts student with dreams of becoming famous, in the musical Fame along with Eunhyuk of Super Junior, Son Ho Young, Lina of The Grace, and Kim Jung Mo of TRAX.
In September 2013, Tiffany participated in the SBS's variety show Fashion King Korea along with Sistar's Bora, Brown Eyes's Yoon Gun, Lee Ji-hoon, Kim Na Young, Boom, Lim Dong Wook and Choo Mi Rim. The show premiered on November 17. She and her partner Ji Il-geun were eliminated on January 25, 2014, ending up in 3rd place.
The TaeTiSeo, a reality documentary featuring Tiffany and her fellow Girls' Generation bandmates Taeyeon and Seohyun, premiered on August 26, 2014 and consisted of 8 episodes. The show took on a more close-up and personal side of the three singers, revealing how they live their normal everyday lives and what they do in their free time. Tiffany, when expressing TTS's effort in putting layers and harmonization into their songs, stated "I don't think people are aware of how many 'layers' we put into our songs... We care about visual performance a lot, but I want to hear people say, 'Wow they can sing really well.'"
Tiffany was born in San Francisco, in the same hospital as former fellow Girls' Generation member Jessica Jung. Although both were born in California, the two coincidentally ended up attending and graduating from the same high school in Seoul, Korea Kent Foreign School, during their preparations for debut in the same group.
Tiffany is the youngest of three siblings. Her older sister studied anthropology at Berkeley. For much of her early career when approached with the topic of mothers or family, Tiffany would often refer to her father or both parents; on a radio broadcast she stated that she missed her mother who was far away and she had not seen her in some time. However, in late 2009 she said for the first time in public that her mother had already died. She later said that her mother had died two years before she herself became a trainee, and that she is somewhat distant with her father, all of her immediate family living overseas. In August 2009 Tiffany was absent from a group filming in order to fly to the US and attend the funeral of her grandfather.
In 2008, Tiffany was diagnosed with vocal nodules, wherein a mass of tissue grows on the vocal folds due to strain or overuse. The condition gave her dysphonia, causing a hoarseness in her voice as well as affecting the range of her singing voice. After receiving treatment her voice returned to normal, but the condition began affecting her voice even more drastically throughout the latter half of 2009, causing her to take a break from activities to receive hospital treatment in September. She also experienced difficulties due to the disorder mid-2010, a company representative stating she would be taking a short hiatus while she was hospitalized again. While treatment has been successful, Tiffany has stated that her current voice is different from her voice previous to contracting vocal nodules, although it is not necessarily something she views as a bad thing.
Throughout her career Tiffany has suffered several injuries requiring medical attention. She fell after a performance of "Gee", injuring her left ankle, which was put in a cast. Tiffany continued to perform with the group, albeit either sitting or standing to the side. Tiffany also suffered a wrist injury while filming for Let's Go Dream Team! in early 2010 and was seen wearing a cast while continuing activities. In August 2010, Tiffany suffered an injury to her right ankle after taking a fall during the SMTown Live '10 World Tour in Seoul. Although not a serious injury, she was put in a cast in order to make sure she would be healed enough to perform at Girls' Generation's upcoming Japanese showcase. She suffered a more severe fall two months later during another performance, injuring her posterior cruciate ligament. Due to this, she was withdrawn from the group's promotions of "Hoot", her absence from the spotlight lasting almost a month until she returned to join her fellow group-mates activities in Japan. The issue of Tiffany's return after injury was a topic of great interest within both the Korean and Japanese media.
Soundtrack appearances, collaborations and solo performances
|2007||SBS Thirty Thousand Miles in Search of My Son||"Touch the Sky"||03:49||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|2008||Emotional Bandaid||"Oppa Nappa"||03:45||With Jessica and Seohyun|
|Mabinogi OST||"It's Fantastic"||03:40||With Jessica and Seohyun|
|N/A||"Holding Hands"||03:54||With Jessica, Tiffany, Super Junior, SS501, Jewelry, Brown Eyed Girls, Lee Hyun, T.G.U.S|
|KBS Hong Gildong OST||"The Little Boat (작은 배)"||03:27||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|The Secret, Between Us||"Secret"||03:30||Narrator of Kim Dong-wan's song|
|2009||SBS Princess Ja Myung Go||"By Myself"||04:14||Solo|
|Dropping the Tears||"A Girl, Meets Love"||03:50||Duet with K.Will|
|The First Memories||"Feeling Only You (너만을 느끼며)"||03:26||With Sooyoung and The Blue|
|MBC Heading to the Ground OST||"Motion"||04:06||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|N/A||"Cabi Song"||03:19||With Jessica, Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny, Yuri, Chansung, Junsu, Taecyeon|
|N/A||"Cooky"||02:50||With Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|My Friend Haechi||"Haechi Song" (해치송) ||03:26||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny and Seohyun|
|2012||Love Rain||"Because It's You"||03:19||Solo|
|To the Beautiful You||"Rise and Shine"||04:01||With Kyuhyun|
|2013||All About My Romance||"One Step Closer"||04:16||Solo|
|SBS Gayo Daejun: Friendship Project||"You Are A Miracle"||06:11||With Various Artists|
|2014||Make Your Move||"Cheap Creeper"||03:01||With Jessica, Taeyeon, Sunny & Seohyun|
|W Foundation Campaign||"Talk About Love"||04:56||With Various Artists|
|Final Recipe OST||"Good Life"||With Henry Lau|
|2012||I AM. – SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|
|2014||My Brilliant Life||Herself||Cameo along with Taeyeon and Seohyun|
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||Bulgwang-dong's Seven Princesses Gang (cameo)|
Reality and variety shows
|2007–2008||Sonyeon Sonyeo Gayo Baekseo||Mnet||Co-host||with Kim Hye-seong|
|2008||Kko Kko Tours Single♥Single||KBS2||Regular Cast||Season 1|
|2009–2010||Show! Music Core||MBC||Co-host||with Yuri|
|2012–2013||with Taeyeon and Seohyun|
|2013||Fashion King Korea||SBS||Regular Cast/Contestant||Third place|
|2014||The TaeTiSeo||OnStyle||Regular Cast||with Taeyeon and Seohyun (8 episodes)|
|2008||Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot School Girl||Herself||Nominated|
|2009||11th Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best OST||"By Myself"||Nominated|
|2011||MBC Entertainment Awards||Special Award: MC Division (with Yuri)||Show! Music Core||Won[better source needed]|
- "Person details for Stephanie Young Hwang, 'California, Birth Index, 1905-1995'". FamilySearch. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Tiffany's Korean name: Hwang Mi-young (in Korean) Newsen.com (March 1, 2009). Retrieved on August 5, 2014.
- "Win Win Episode 11" (in Korean). Win Win. April 20, 2010. Korean Broadcasting System. KBS2.
- Girls' Generation Tiffany was cast during 2004 SM Casting System in LA (in Korean) Newsen.com (August 1, 2007). Retrieved on December 1, 2014.
- (Korean) Chosun.com: 홀로 숙소 지키는 티파니 "이제서야 외로움이 몰려와요". February 13, 2009
- Soompie Gets to Know Jessica and Tiffany of SNSD Soompi (January 12, 2010). Retrieved on May 4, 2014.
- SM Entertainment Girls' Generation Profile SMTown.com. Retrieved on January 30, 2013.
- Danny From LA Meets with SNSD’s Tiffany, Sunny, and Taeyeon at Dodger Stadium Mwave.interest.me (August 13, 2013). Retrieved on August 4, 2014.
- SNSD’s Tiffany, Taeyeon, and Sunny Meet Up with MLB Players in LA Mwave.interest.me (July 29, 2013). Retrieved on August 4, 2014.
- Pops in Seoul-Girls′ Generation-TTS (Holler) 태티서 (Holler) Arirang Kpop's Official Youtube Channel (September 22, 2014). Retrieved on September 22, 2014.
- "Sunny's "FM Date" with Girls' Generation-TTS" (in Korean). MBC's FM4U's "FM Date" radio show. September 19, 2014. approx. 80 minutes in. MBC.
- Subgroup "TTS", formed by Girls' Generation's Taeyeon, Tiffany & Seohyun, debuts in May (in Korean) Daum.net (April 19, 2012). Retrieved on April 20, 2012.
- "Tiffany's Interview". Korea InStyle Magazine (August 2014). August 2014.
- (Korean) StarNews: 티파니, 서현 이어 솔로 변신..'자명고' OST 참여, 김지연 기자. MoneyToday. March 25, 2009.
- 티파니 싱글 – 나 혼자서. webpage (in Korean). Maniadb.com. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- "소시 티파니, '내연모' OST로 지원사격". Joynews. 7 April 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- (Korean) Kim Hyeong-wu. 소녀시대 티파니 “‘오빠나빠’ 활동 당시 성대결절 고생” (Girls' Generation's Tiffany: "Bad Older Brother' Activities Were Difficult on Vocal Nodules"). JoongAng Ilbo/Newsen. February 16, 2009. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- Girls' Generation Jessica, Tiffany and Seohyun released a game theme song (in Korean) Newsen.com (August 1, 2008). Retrieved on December 1, 2014.
- Tiffany & K.Will sing a duet "A Girl, Meets Love" (in Korean) Newsen.com (March 27, 2009). Retrieved on December 3, 2014.
- (Korean) Cyworld's "Oh! My Love For You" (Feat. Tiffany & Soo Young) Music.cyworld.com (May 14, 2009). Retrieved on December 3, 2014.
- (Korean) 카라 한승연, 티파니 후임으로 '소년소녀가요백서' 진행. Originally from International Business Times (June 25, 2008). Archived on October 10, 2012. Retrieved on November 24, 2014.
- (Korean) spn.edaily.co.kr: 티파니·유리, '음악중심' 새 MC..."샤방샤방 즐거움 드릴게요", March 28, 2009
- "소녀시대 티파니 유리, '쇼! 음악중심' 새 MC 발탁". webpage (in Korean). Media Daum.com. Retrieved March 28, 2009.
- Taeyeon and Seohyun to join Tiffany as new 'Music Core' MCs Allkpop.com (January 31, 2012). Retrieved on July 31, 2014.
- Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun give their farewell greetings on 'Music Core' Allkpop.com (April 13, 2013). Retrieved on August 3, 2014.
- SNSD at ‘Incheon Korean Music Wave 2009 Soshified.com (September 7, 2009). Retrieved on September 7, 2013.
- 2010 Incheon Korean Music Wave Red Carpet Allkpop (August 29, 2010). Retrieved on September 6, 2013.
- Ryu Si Won, SNSD’s Tiffany & Yuri to MC for MBC’s 2010 Gayo Daejun Allkpop (December 22, 2010). Retrieved on November 23, 2011.
- SNSD’s Yuri and Tiffany to MC 2011 Incheon Korean Music Wave Concert Allkpop (July 21, 2011). Retrieved on November 23, 2011.
- Yuri, Tiffany & Sooyoung to MC 'Kpop All Star Live in Niigata’ Dkpopnews.net (August 04, 2011). Retrieved on November 23, 2011.
- Taeyeon and Tiffany Set to MC at the 2012 Korean Music Wave in Bangkok Soshified.com (February 16, 2012). Retrieved on May 04, 2014.
- MBC Music Core: K-Pop Festival in Vietnam Soompi (December 8, 2012). Retrieved on July 13, 2014.
- Girls' Generation's Tiffany and Yuri to show their perfect teamwork as MCs for Incheon Korean Music Wave 2013 Allkpop (August 8, 2013). Retrieved on September 6, 2013.
- MBC鸟巢开唱 少时EXO担主持16组嘉宾献艺 Sina.com.cn (October 21, 2014). Retrieved on November 17, 2014.
- Lee, JinHo "Eunhyuk Attends ‘Fame’ Showcase" Mnet News. 7 November 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-01
- "Tiffany, Bora, Boom, and more join the cast of new competitive fashion program 'Fashion King Korea'". allkpop. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Tiffany Joins Cast of SBS’s New Fashion Competition, ‘Fashion King Korea’". Soshified. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Girls' Generation New Reality Show 'The Taetiseo', Stars Taeyeon, Tiffany, Seohyun". Breathecast.com. August 18, 2014. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- "The TaeTiSeo Episode 3" (in Korean). The TaeTiSeo. September 16, 2014. approx. 41 minutes in. OnStyle (온스타일).
- [KBS Cool FM 슈퍼주니어 키스 더 라디오 Broadcast 14th November, 2009]
- [dead link]
- 스타인생극장' 티파니, 일 때문에 아빠와 멀어져 '눈물 펑펑 (in Korean). News.zum.com. 2011-11-23. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- 소녀시대 티파니, ‘절친노트’에 불참한 이유는? (in Korean). Nownews. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "Girls' Generation's Tiffany Dating Nichkhun of 2PM". The Chosun Ilbo. April 7, 2014. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- Chung Joo-won (April 4, 2014). "Tiffany, Nichkhun confirmed dating". The Korea Herald. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- 소녀시대 티파니 목 상태 호전 "26일 ‘음중’ 참여 가능할듯" - 손에 잡히는 뉴스 눈에 보이는 뉴스 - 뉴스엔 (in Korean). Newsen.com. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "SNSD's Tiffany to skip Music Core this week". allkpop. 17 June 2010. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "SNSD's Tiffany is receiving treatment for her throat". allkpop. 16 June 2010. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Interview by 'The Musical'", November 14, 2011
- 소녀시대 티파니 발목부상 ‘음악중심 출연 반깁스 투혼’ (in Korean). Blog.daum.net. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "SNSD's Tiffany racks up another injury". allkpop. 26 January 2010. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- 소녀시대 티파니 발목 깁스, 日 쇼케이스는 예정대로 (in Korean). Hankyung.com. 2010-08-23. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "무릎부상 티파니, 한달만에 23일 소녀시대 활동재개 - 중앙일보 연예". JoongAng Daily Entertainment. 2010-12-20. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- 소녀시대 티파니 오늘(22일) 한달만에 복귀 日서 공식 활동재개 - 손에 잡히는 뉴스 눈에 보이는 뉴스 - 뉴스엔 (in Korean). Newsen.com. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "내친구 해치 (My Friend Haechi) [Original Soundtrack] – Single". iTunes US Apple. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- TaeTiSeo makes a cameo appearance in Kang Dong Won's movie My Brilliant Life (in Korean) Hankooki.com (August 21, 2014). Retrieved on August 21, 2014.
- (Korean) Mnet Asian Music Awards – official website
- "2011 MBC Entertainment Awards Winner List". Koreangossipgirl.com. Archived from the original on March 21, 2012. Retrieved 2014-05-04.