Shelley Hack as Tiffany Welles
|First appearance||Love Boat Angels - 12 September 1979|
|Last appearance||One Love... Two Angels (2) - 7 May 1980|
|Created by||Ivan Goff, Ben Roberts|
|Portrayed by||Shelley Hack|
|Occupation||Policewoman, Private Detective|
Tiffany Welles is a fictional character in the television series Charlie's Angels. She was played by Shelley Hack and her debut coincided with the fourth season premiere, "Love Boat Angels" (episode 69), which was a crossover with fellow ABC hit The Love Boat.
Unlike the previous Angels, who are all from California, Tiffany is a native of Boston and is more refined and educated than the others. She pledged Kappa Omega Psi in Whitley College, lived in Tracy Hall as a member of Kappa Omega Psi Sorority, and held the presidency (a position Kelly described as a "big sorority honcho"). Upon completing college, Tiffany enrolled in and graduated top in her class from the Boston Police Academy. Some of her accomplishments prior to joining the Townsend Agency include mastering the violin, speaking fluent Latin, assisting as a nurse's aid, and studying in the field of parapsychology. Her father, Lieutenant Welles, is also a longtime friend of Charlie's. Tiffany is different than the other Angels, being unashamedly aloof and proud, she consistently conducts herself elegantly and with aristocratic sophistication. She is Charlie's fifth angel, brought in to fill the vacancy left by the departure of Sabrina Duncan (Kate Jackson), the "smart one". Nicknamed "Tiff" by her co-workers, she is considerably more refined than her predecessor, carrying herself with composure, dignity, and a nuanced grace at all times. Tall, beautiful, and educated, Tiffany, "the classy one", brought an air of elegance to the show.
Tiffany is not given a big opening debut in “Love Boat Angels”, and remains a peripheral character for the first several weeks of the fourth season. The first attempts to give any significant depth to her character did not occur until the episodes “Angels on Campus” (episode 78) and “Angel Hunt” (episode 79), which aired November 28 and December 5, respectively. The former episode establishes Tiffany's background and character while the latter solidifies her relationship with Kelly and Kris. Tiffany begins to find her place at the Townsend Agency in the second half of the season, but the producers did not ask Hack to return to the show, possibly because ratings had fallen. Much like Sabrina Duncan's departure, Tiffany is explained away in the following season opener as having returned east, and is never seen or mentioned again.
Essential Tiffany episodes
- Angels Go Truckin’ (episode 70) – Tiffany and Kris become truckers and learn CB lingo.
- Angels on Campus (episode 78) – Tiffany goes back to her old sorority house.
- Angel Hunt (episode 79) - Tiffany bonds with Kelly and Kris after they are kidnapped and hunted.
- Of Ghosts and Angels (episode 81) – Tiffany hunts a ghost and admits to having studied the paranormal.
- Three for the Money (episode 90) - The Angels outwit a con man at his own game. Three Angels, three cons, and one con man!
- One Love...Two Angels (episodes 97 [part one] and 98 [part two]) - Orphaned as a child and uncertain about her real heritage, Kelly hires Kris, Tiffany, and Bosley to look into her background. Tiffany joins Kelly in San Diego to study the family history.
|This article about a fictional television character is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|