||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011)|
Tiga in 2012
|Birth name||Tiga James Sontag|
|Born||15 July 1974|
|Origin||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Genres||Electronica, tech house, electro house, acid house, UK garage|
|Occupations||Producer, DJ, singer-songwriter|
|Associated acts||Tiga & Zyntherius, The Dove, TGV, Rainer Werner Bassfinder, ZZT, Massimo Massivi|
Tiga James Sontag (born 1974 in Montreal, Canada) is a Canadian musician, DJ and record producer of electronic dance music. Tiga // has released two albums entitled Sexor and Ciao! Sexor won the 2007 Juno Award for Dance Recording of the Year. Tiga released a selection of compilations in the early 2000s, featuring mixes such as American Gigolo, DJ-Kicks: Tiga and, Mixed Emotions, which put him on the map as one of "the world's best mixers". His most recent compilation mix, Tiga Non-Stop, was released in November 2012, and premiered Tiga's latest single "Plush." The mix also features tracks from artists such as Kindness, Duke Dumont and Blawan.
Tiga has remixed songs from the likes of The xx, LCD Soundsystem, The Kills, Cabaret Voltaire, Scissor Sisters, Peaches, Moby, Depeche Mode, Justice, Friendly Fires and Mylo. Along with Zombie Nation, Tiga is half of ZZT, and has released material as The Dove, Rainer Werner Bassfinder (with Jesper Dahlbäck), and TGV (with Mateo Murphy). He hass also co-produced music with the likes of Soulwax, James Murphy, Chilly Gonzales, Jesper Dahlbäck, and most recently Matthew Dear, who he worked with on "Plush."
As a solo artist, Tiga released "Sunglasses at Night" with Finnish producer Jori Hulkkonen (aka Zyntherius). The single reached number 25 in the UK Dance Chart. Other successful chart singles include "Pleasure From the Bass", "You Gonna Want Me" featuring Jake Shears, and his 2009 release “Shoes,” co-produced with Soulwax and Chilly Gonzales.
Tiga is the host of the BBC Radio 6 Music show "My Name Is Tiga", and made his acting debut in the 2010 film Ivory Tower, co-starring Chilly Gonzales, Feist and Peaches. The film won special mention at the Locarno International Film Festival.
Tiga's 2013 song "Plush" (Jacques Lu Cont remix) is featured in the best-selling video game Grand Theft Auto V.
In 1990 Tiga and a few friends started throwing small parties and street promotions in Montreal that evolved into a cult following. Having bought DNA records in 1994, the nightclub SONA was then conceived in Montreal in 1996, with Tiga having a major role to play in the creation of the dance scene at the time.
In 2001, Tiga entered the studio with producer Zyntherius to record a rendition of Corey Hart's solo song, “Sunglasses at Night.” The track also made it to number two on the UK Dance Chart, number 23 on the UK National Singles Chart, number one on the MTV Dance Chart for over six weeks and was in the Top 20 on Germany’s National Singles Chart. Tiga also performed “Sunglasses at Night” with Zyntherius on Top Of The Pops.
Tiga completed remixes for the likes of Martini Bros, Alipinestars, Linda Lamb, Crossover, FC Kahuna, Cabaret Voltaire, Telepopmusik, Felix da Housecat, Fischerspooner and Dannii Minogue in the years that followed the success of “Sunglasses at Night.” In 2003, he commanded the attention of the scene with a mix CD for K7’s legendary DJ Kicks series.
The release of Tiga's second album, Ciao! took place in 2009.
2011–2012: Party's Over, Earth
ZZT released their debut album, Party's Over, Earth on Turbo Recordings in 2011. In November 2012, Tiga released his first single in 6 years, Plush on Different Recordings.
Tiga founded Turbo Recordings in Montreal in 1998. The label helped launch his own career, at the same time as being central in the success of acts such as Chromeo, Proxy and Azari & III. Other names on the label include Jesper Dahlbäck, Gingy & Bordello, Jori Hulkkonen, Duke Dumont, Brodinski, Zdar, D.I.M, Martini Bros, Stu Thousand VI, Boys Noize and Sei A.
Awards and Nominations
My Name Is Tiga
“My Name is Tiga” is the name of Tiga’s BBC Radio 6 show that features unreleased exclusive music and classic dance tracks. Tiga’s broadcasting career began with the 90s CKUT terrestrial radio show “The Tiga and Gnat Show.”
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tiga.|
DJ mix compilations
- Montreal Mix Sessions Vol. 1 (1998)
- Mixed Emotions: Montreal Mix Sessions Vol. 5 (2000)
- American Gigolo (2001)
- DJ-Kicks: Tiga (2002)
- INTHEMIX.05 (2005)
- Tiga: Non Stop (2012)
- "Sunglasses at Night" (2001), with Jori Hulkkonen, as Tiga & Zyntherius (UK #25)
- "TGV EP" (2002), as TGV, with Mateo Murphy
- "DJ-Kicks Promo" (2002), with Mateo Murphy
- "Running out of Time EP" (2003), as TGV, with Mateo Murphy
- "Hot in Herre" (2003), with Mateo Murphy and Jake Shears, (UK #46)
- "Burning Down" (2003), with Richard X
- "Pleasure from the Bass" (2004), with Jesper Dahlbäck, (UK #57)
- "Louder than a Bomb" (2005), with Jesper Dahlbäck
- "You Gonna Want Me" (2005), with Soulwax and Jake Shears, (UK #64, AUS #65)
- "Good as Gold" (2005), with Soulwax
- "Far From Home" (2006), (UK #65, AUS #69)
- "3 Weeks" (2006), with remixes by Jesper Dahlbäck, Booka Shade and Troy Pierce
- "Move My Body" (2006) including the original Only4Erol mix and a Boys Noize remix.
- "Lower State of Consciousness" (2007) as ZZT with Zombie Nation, including Justice remix.
- "Mind Dimension" (2008) (featuring special guest Jori Hulkkonen)
- "The Worm" (2008), as ZZT with Zombie Nation
- "Shoes" (2009) (featuring special guests Soulwax & Gonzales)
- "What You Need" (2009)
- "Beep Beep Beep" (2009)
- "Sex 'O Clock" (2010)
- "ZZafrika" (2010), as ZZT with Zombie Nation
- "Hands Up" (2010), as Massimo Massivi with Jesper Dahlbäck
- "Girl at a Party with Siren" (2011), as The Dove with Jesper Dahlbäck
- "Vulkan Alarm!" (2011), as ZZT with Zombie Nation
- "Partys Over Los Angeles" (2011), as ZZT with Zombie Nation
- "Plush" (2013)
- "Let's Go Dancing" (2013), with Audion
- "Fever" (2014), with Audion
- "Bugatti" (2014)
- Bran Van 3000 - "Drinking in L.A." (Tiga, Mateo and Delage's Sinking In LA Dub)
- Märtini Brös. - "Flash" (Tiga's Acid Flashback mix)
- Komma 8 Komma 1 - "Popmusic" (TGV Vocal mix)
- The Devils - "Come Alive" (Tiga Swears Lies Remix)
- LCD Soundsystem - "Beat Connection" (Tiga Edit)
- FC Kahuna - "Machine Says Yes" (Tiga's Unreleased Mix)
- Felix Da Housecat featuring Miss Kittin - "Madame Hollywood" (Tiga's Mister Hollywood Version)
- FPU - "Ocean Drive" (Tiga's White Linen Vox)
- Cabaret Voltaire - "Nag Nag Nag" (Tiga & Zyntherius Radio mix)
- Alpinestars - "Snow Patrol" (Tiga TGV Disco Patrol dub)
- Dannii Minogue - "Put The Needle On It" (Tiga's Cookies Dub Edit)
- Linda Lamb - "Hot Room" (Tiga remix)
- FPU - "Race Car" (TGV Join The Race Remix) / (TGV Dub)
- Alexkid - "Come With Me" (Tiga vs Etoy Acideathravefuckinglive mix)
- Scissor Sisters - "Comfortably Numb" (Tiga remix) / (Tiga Dub)
- Märtini Brös. - "Flash" (Tiga's Unholy Trinity Mix)
- Télépopmusik - "Breathe" (TGV Remix)
- The Neon Judgement - "TV Treated" (Tiga's Recovered Vox) / (Tiga's Dub for Ivan)
- Crossover - "Phostographt" (Tiga's Revenge)
- Märtini Brös. - "Big and Dirty" (Tiga Remix)
- Peaches - "Shake Yer Dix" (Tiga's Where Were You in '92 Remix) / (Tiga's Where Were You in '92 Instrumental mix)
- Seelenluft - "I Can See Clearly Now" (Tiga Remix)
- Drama Society feat. Turner - "Crying Hero" (Tiga Remix)
- Junior Jack feat. Robert Smith - "Da Hype" (Tiga remix)
- Drinking Electricity - "Breakout" (Tiga edit)
- La Oreja de Van Gogh - "Bonustrack" (Tiga's Vocal Mix)
- Soulwax - "E Talking" (Tiga's Disco Drama remix)
- Tomas Andersson - "Washing Up" (Tiga's Na Na Na Na Na Remix)
- Zdar - "Don't U Want" (Tiga remix)
- LCD Soundsystem - "Tribulations" (Tiga's Out Of The Trance Closet mix)
- The Kills - "The Good Ones" (Tiga Remix)
- Mylo - "Muscle Car" (Tiga remix)
- Depeche Mode - "Shake The Disease" (Tiga Remix)
- Moby - "Where You End" (Tiga's All That I Need Is To Be Sampled mix) / (Tiga's All That I Need Is To Be Dubbed mix)
- Depeche Mode - "Suffer Well" (Tiga Remix)
- Pet Shop Boys - "Minimal" (Tiga's M-I-N-I-M-A-L Remix) / (Tiga's M-I-N-I-M-A-L Dub)
- Coldcut ft. Robert Owens - "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" (Tiga Mix)
- The Killers - "Bones (Tiga Mix)
- Alter Ego - "Gary" (Tiga's Italia 90 Mix)
- Fever Ray - "Triangle Walks" (Tiga's 1-2-3-4 Remix)
- Miike Snow - "Black & Blue" (Tiga Remix)
- The Prodigy - "Thunder" (Tiga Remix)
- Boys Noize - "Transmission" (Tiga Remix)
- Jamie Lidell - "I Wanna Be Your Telephone" (Tiga’s Party Like It’s 19909 Remix)
- The xx - "Shelter" (Tiga Remix)
- LCD Soundsystem - "I Can Change" (Tiga Remix)
- Friendly Fires - "Blue Cassette" (Tiga Remix)
- Azari & III - "Reckless (With Your Love)" (Tiga Remix)
- Footprintz - "Dangers of the Mouth" (Tiga Remix)
- Justice - "Canon" (Tiga Remix)
- Aviv, Uri Zer (2 February 2014). "Tel Aviv tunes in for Tiga". Haaretz.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 559. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Tiga's official website
- Official website for Turbo Recordings
- Official Tiga YouTube channel
- Tiga discography at Discogs
- Tiga Interview May 2006
- Tiga on RCRD LBL