|• Total||27.33 km2 (10.55 sq mi)|
|• Density||52.61/km2 (136.3/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The center of the district is the Benedictine Tihany Abbey, which was founded in 1055 AD by András (Andrew) I, who is buried in the crypt. The founding charter of this abbey is the first extant record of Hungarian language, preserved in Pannonhalma Benedictine Archabbey. The church itself was rebuilt in baroque style in 1754. The still functioning abbey is a popular tourist attraction due to its historical and artistic significance. It also has the best view of Lake Balaton.
The abbey also features as a footnote in Habsburg history - the last Habsburg Emperor of Austria, Charles I was briefly held prisoner here following his second attempt to regain the throne of Hungary.
Tihany is famous for the echo, existing since the 18th century. There were poems written for this echo, like by Mihály Csokonai Vitéz and Mihály Vörösmarty, but the most famous is by János Garay, summing up the legend of the place. The echo has since abated, due to changes in the landscape. The other part of the legend concerns with the "goats' nails", washed ashore from Balaton, which are in fact corners of prehistoric clams. According to the story, there was a princess with golden-haired goats, but she was too proud and hard of heart and was punished (cursed by the king of the lake): her goats were lost in Balaton, only their nails remained, and she was obliged to answer to every passers-by. A stone, remembering the Shouting Girl, is still to be seen near the village.
Tihany from birdview with Belső-tó
- Akit a hely természeti értékei érdekelnek, az olvassa el Futó János (szerk.): A Tihanyi-félsziget. A Balaton-felvidék természeti értékei III. Veszprém 2002 c. kiadványt ISBN 963-202-758-2, ISSN 15863441.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tihany.|
- Official site (English)
- The abbey's home page (Hungarian)
- Aerial photographs
- Beaches around the peninsula (English)
- Restaurant and accommodation (English)
- Photos and panoramas of Tihany (English)
- Attractions around Tihany (English)
- Weather and water temperature of Balaton (English)
- Photos of Tihany (English)
- Tihany at funiq.hu