- For other uses, see Tihomir
Thocomerius, also Tihomir, was the father of Basarab who would become the first independent voivode of Wallachia. Many Romanian historians (e.g., Vlad Georgescu, Marcel Popa) think that Thocomerius was a voivode in Wallachia who followed Bărbat (a voivode around 1278); others (e.g., Tudor Sălăgean) refer to him as a local potentate whose status cannot be specified.
The Hungarian László Rásonyi derives the name from a Cuman and Tatar name, Toq-tämir (‘hardened steel’), and refers to a Chingisid prince, Toktomer, mentioned in the Russian annals in 1295 as abiding in the Crimea. According to István Vásáry, even if Basarab’s father bore a Turkic name, his person can by no means identified with a Chingisid prince, because being descended from Genghis Khan was a matter of such significance that no one could, or would have wanted to conceal it.
- Sălăgean, Tudor. Romanian Society in the Early Middle Ages (9th-10th Centuries).
- Vásáry, István. Cumans and Tatars: Oriental Military in the Pre-Ottoman Balkans, 1185-1365.
- Georgescu, Vlad. The Romanians: A History.
- Treptow, Kurt W.; Popa, Marcel. Historical Dictionary of Romania.
- Djuvara, Neagu. Thocomerius - Negru Vodă. Un voivod de origine cumană la începuturile Tării Româneşti.
- Djuvara, Neagu: Thocomerius – Negru Vodă. Un voivod de origine cumană la începuturile Tării Româneşti /Thocomerius – Negru Vodă: A Voivode of Cuman Origin at the Beginnings of Wallachia/, Humanitas, 2007
- Georgescu, Vlad (Author) – Calinescu, Matei (Editor) – Bley-Vroman, Alexandra (Translator): The Romanians – A History; Ohio State University Press, 1991, Columbus; ISBN 0-8142-0511-9
- Sălăgean, Tudor: Romanian Society in the Early Middle Ages (9th-10th Centuries); in: Ioan-Aurel Pop – Ioan Bolovan (Editors): History of Romania: Compendium; Romanian Cultural Institute (Center for Transylvanian Studies), 2006, Cluj-Napoca; ISBN 978-973-7784-12-4
- Treptow, Kurt W. – Popa, Marcel: Historical Dictionary of Romania (table ‘Rulers of Romania - Wallachia’); The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 1996, Lanham (Maryland, USA) & Folkestone (UK); ISBN 0-8108-3179-1
- Vásáry, István: Cumans and Tatars: Oriental Military in the Pre-Ottoman Balkans, 1185-1365; Cambridge University Press, 2005, Cambridge; ISBN 0-521-83756-1
|(?) Voivode in Wallachia
(unknown – c. 1310)