|Birth name||Timothy Gregg Bachman|
August 1, 1951 |
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
|Associated acts||Brave Belt, Bachman-Turner Overdrive|
Timothy Gregg Bachman (born August 1, 1951) is a Canadian guitarist and vocalist best known for his work with rock bands Brave Belt and Bachman–Turner Overdrive (BTO). Bachman was one of the four founding members of BTO, a group that have sold more than 20 million albums worldwide and also featured his brothers Randy (guitar/vocals) and Robbie (drums), as well as Fred Turner (bass/vocals).
Bachman wrote or co-wrote several songs during his tenure with Brave Belt and BTO, including "Put It In a Song" (with Turner) for the Brave Belt II album, "Down and Out Man" (with R. B. Charles) for the first BTO album, and "Blown" (with Randy) and "I Don't Have To Hide" for Bachman–Turner Overdrive II.
He rejoined BTO (along with Randy Bachman, Fred Turner and Garry Peterson) for a 1984 reunion album and supporting tours, including a high profile world tour opening for Van Halen. He then led touring versions of the band in 1987 and 1988.
In 2008, Tim Bachman suffered a heart attack and subsequently underwent quadruple by-pass surgery.
On June 14, 2010, Bachman was charged by Abbotsford police with sexual interference of a person under 14, touching a young person for a sexual purpose, and sexual assault. Police recommended a charge of sexual exploitation, but Crown counsel opted to split the case into three separate counts. After an 11-month investigation, police charged Bachman for incidents that allegedly began in Abbotsford in 2000 when the complainant was 11 years old and continued for three years.
Stacy Bohun alleged that Bachman would grope her when she was a foster child living in his home in the Fraser Valley. At trial, however, Bachman was found not guilty on these counts. Justice Neill Brown decided that the testimony of Bohun was too unreliable to uphold convictions criminally.
On May 26, 2014, Bachman was again arrested by Abbotsford police on new charges relating to incidents from the 1990s involving a different alleged victim. He faces charges of sexual assault, sexual interference and invitation to sexual touching. He was released pending trial with conditions, including avoiding contact with anyone under the age of 16, stay away from any public park, schoolground, daycare, swimming pool or any other facility where minors under 16 may be present.
- "Behind the Four-Wheel Drive." Mark After Dark interview with Robbie Bachman at www.newyorkwaste.com
- "Tim Bachman faces child sex charges today"; Winnipeg Free Press, online edition, July 5, 2010 http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/tim-bachman-faces-child-sex-charges-today-97792839.html
- Carrigg, David. (Monday, June 14, 2010). Former BTO guitarist Tim Bachman charged in child-sex case. National Post (accessed June 14, 2010).
- CBC News. (Monday, June 14, 2010). BTO guitarist charged with sex assault of minor: Tim Bachman faces charges of sexual touching, interference, assault (accessed Monday, June 14, 2010).
- http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/tim-bachman-bto-founding-member-charged-with-sex-offences-1.2656290; http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bto-co-founder-tim-bachman-faces-new-sex-charges/article18879269/