August 30, 1985 |
|First-degree murder, forcible confinement, theft over $5,000|
Early life and education
He is the grandson of Carl Millard, legendary founder of a Canadian airline and aircraft maintenance company, Millardair and son of Wayne Millard, a pilot, and Madelaine Burns, a flight attendant. He was named Dellen in honour of his grandmother, Della. In 1999, at the age of fourteen, he held the world record for the youngest solo helicopter flight, and became the youngest Canadian to pilot a helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft on the same day. Millard attended the Toronto French School and graduated in 2003.
Dellen Millard inherited the family business and became the company's CEO after his father died of what was initially determined to be suicide in November 2012.
Career and arrest
On May 10, 2013, Millard was arrested and charged with forcible confinement and theft over $5000 in connection with the disappearance of Hamilton-area man Tim Bosma. He was subsequently charged with first-degree murder after Bosma's charred remains were discovered at Millard's North Dumfries farm. A second man, 25-year-old Mark Smich, was also charged with first-degree murder on May 23. in Tim Bosma's death.
As a result of Millard's arrest, Toronto police investigated him in the then-ruled suicide of his father and in the disappearance of 23-year-old Laura Babcock, who went missing in July 2012. According to Shawn Lerner, her former boyfriend, Millard and Babcock had known each other for several years and had a romantic relationship. Lerner reportedly provided the police with Babcock's telephone records indicating Millard was the last person Babcock spoke to on her phone before her disappearance. 
In October, 2013, the Ontario Provincial Police combined investigations into the murder of Tim Bosma, the disappearance of Laura Babcock and the death of Wayne Millard into a multi-jurisdictional probe under the province's major case management system.
On April 10, 2014, it was announced that Millard had been charged with two additional counts of first-degree murder, in the deaths of his father, Wayne Millard, and ex-girlfriend Laura Babcock. His accomplice, Mark Smich, was also charged with murdering Babcock.
Millard's murder trial is expected to take place in 2015.
- Mahoney, Jill. "Toronto police confirm search of Millard property related to two other cases". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Alamenciak, Tim (11 May 2013). "Tim Bosma: Suspect Dellen Millard comes from Toronto flight dynasty". Toronto Star. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Schwartz, Daniel. "Who is Dellen Millard, the accused in the Tim Bosma case?". CBC. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Humphreys, 2=Alexandra; Bosanac. "Suspect in Tim Bosma’s death was always ‘a little different’ and did ‘odd stuff’ at private school, classmate says". National Post. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Armstrong, James (April 10, 2014). "Dellen Millard charged with murder of missing woman, father". globalnews.ca. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Armstrong, James. "Tim Bosma: Suspect to be charged with first degree murder". Global News. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Police still guarding Millard farm property in Bosma death investigation". Kitchener.ctvnews.ca. May 21, 2013. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Strapagiel, Lauren (May 23, 2013). "Mark Smich charged in Tim Bosma's murder". o.canada.com. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Hayes, Molly (19 May 2013). "Police still probing Millard’s farm". Hamilton Spectator. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- "Unknown remains found on Dellen Millard's farm". cbc.ca. May 19, 2013. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Patrick White (May 19, 2013). "Police probe link between Dellen Millard and missing woman". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- Casey, Liam; Pagliaro, Jennifer (May 17, 2013). "Missing woman's last call was to Dellen Millard, ex-boyfriend says". thestar.com. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Mahoney, Jim (October 4, 2013). "Cases of Tim Bosma, Laura Babcock and Dellen Millard's father linked: OPP". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- "Tim Bosma Murder: Dellen Millard Accused in Slaying, Charged with Additional Murders". Canadian Press. April 10, 2014. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Clairmont, Susan (November 12, 2013). "Bosma murder trial not until 2015". The Hamilton Spectator. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
|This biographical article related to aviation is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography about a Canadian businessperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|