29 November 1963 |
Latchford, Cheshire, England, United Kingdom
|Genres||Art rock, dream pop, post rock, ambient|
|Labels||One Little Indian
|Associated acts||No-Man, Steven Wilson, Henry Fool, Memories of Machines, Slow Electric, Samuel Smiles, Centrozoon, Darkroom, Richard Barbieri, David Torn, Judy Dyble|
Tim Bowness (born 29 November 1963) is an English singer and songwriter primarily known for his work as part of the band No-Man, a long-term project formed in 1987 with Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson.
In addition to recording albums with No-Man (for record labels such as One Little Indian, Sony/Epic and Kscope), Bowness has appeared on recordings by Italian artist Alice, OSI and guitarist David Torn.
Additionally, Bowness has been a core or floating member of several other bands. He has sung for German electronic band Centrozoon and British electro-improvisers Darkroom on the more vocal-orientated projects performed and released by each group. He is the lead singer and guitarist for Henry Fool and also sings for Memories of Machines and Anglo Estonian Jazz band, Slow Electric. He was singer (and occasional second guitarist) for Samuel Smiles between 1992 and 2000. Bowness also has a longstanding duo collaboration with Ely-based multi-instrumentalist Peter Chilvers (with whom he has worked in Samuel Smiles and Henry Fool). Mostly based around voice and keyboards (predominantly piano), this project has produced one album, 2002's California, Norfolk.
Following years of collaborations, Bowness' debut solo album, My Hotel Year was released on the One Little Indian label in 2004. The album continued to make use of Bowness collaborators both old and new (featuring Roger Eno and Hugh Hopper amongst others).
In 2009, Bowness co-wrote and co-produced Talking with Strangers, an album by former Fairport Convention singer, Judy Dyble, which also features Robert Fripp, Ian McDonald, Simon Nicol, Jacqui McShee and Julianne Regan (amongst others).
The self-titled debut album from Slow Electric was released on the Panegyric label in October, 2011.
|"Taking It Like a Man" (with No-Man)||Billboard Dance/Club Play (US)||34||1994|
|"Viaggio In Italia" (with Alice)||Italian Albums Chart ||16||2003|
Select discography (Outside No-Man)
- Warm Winter (Mascot, 2011) - with Giancarlo Erra (as Memories of Machines)
- Talking with Strangers (FixIt, 2009) with Judy Dyble (guest vocals throughout the album, which was co-written and co-produced by Bowness)
- Blood (Inside Out, 2009) - with OSI (guest vocals on one track)
- Lightdark (Kscope, 2008) - with Nosound (guest vocals on one track)
- Duality (Holy Records, 2008) - with Rajna (guests on three tracks)
- The Scent of Crash and Burn EP (Burning Shed, 2003) - with centrozoon
- Never Trust the Way You Are (Resonancer, 2004) - with centrozoon
- My Hotel Year (One Little Indian, 2004) - Solo album
- Viaggio in Italia (NuN Entertainment, 2003) - with Alice (guest vocals on two tracks)
- California, Norfolk (Burning Shed, 2002) - with Peter Chilvers
- Ones And Zeros (Voiceprint, 1997) - with Rosario "Saro" Cosentino (guest vocals on one track)
- Flame (One Little Indian, 1994) - with Richard Barbieri
- Another Beauty Blooms (Stranger Records, 1986) - with Ian Simpson, Mike Bearpark
- Tim Bowness Official Website
- Tim Bowness Official Blog
- No-Man Official Website
- No-Man "A Confession"
- No-Man at My Space
- Tim Bowness at My Space
- Burning Shed
- The Tim Bowness Artist Page at One Little Indian
- Viaggio In Italia chart statistics