|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
from the 149th district
January 6, 2009
|Preceded by||Daylin Leach|
|Constituency||Part of Montgomery County|
January 3, 1970 |
|Residence||Upper Merion Township, Pennsylvania|
|Alma mater||West Chester University of Pennsylvania
Temple University Beasley School of Law
Timothy P. "Tim" Briggs (born January 3, 1970) is a Democratic member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, representing the 149th District since 2009. The district is located in Montgomery County, including Bridgeport, parts of Lower Merion Township, Upper Merion Township, and West Conshohocken.
Tim Briggs was born in Norristown, Pennsylvania, to Joseph and Terese Briggs. He graduated from Crystal Lake South High School in Illinois in 1988. He then attended West Chester University of Pennsylvania, where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science in 1992. He also minored in geography and international relations.
Briggs served as an advisor to Congressman Joe Hoeffel and state Senator Constance H. Williams. For several years, he served as a volunteer firefighter and sat on the board of directors for Big Brothers Big Sisters in Montgomery County. He received a Juris Doctor degree from Temple University Beasley School of Law in 2004. He became an associate with the law firm Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin in 2008.
In 2008, after Democratic incumbent Daylin Leach decided to run for the Pennsylvania State Senate, Briggs successfully ran for the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in the 149th District. He defeated Republican Lynne Lechter, a King of Prussia lawyer, by a margin of 62%-38%. He was re-elected to a second term in 2010, defeating Bridgeport councilman Peter Kohut by 62%-37%. He was re-elected to a third term against Republican Perry Hamilton by a margin of 66% to 34%.
Briggs currently serves as Deputy Whip for the House Democratic Caucus, Democratic Chairman of the Transportation Safety Subcommittee, vice-chairman of the Policy Committee, and a member of the Professional Licensure, Finance, and State Government Committees. He is also vice-chairman of the Southeastern Democratic Delegation. He has focused on issues concerning education, children, and the environment.
- "SESSION OF 2009 - 193D OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 1". Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2009-01-06.
- "District Information". Rep. Tim Briggs.
- "Pennsylvania Manual". Pennsylvania Department of General Services 119.
- "Biography". Rep. Tim Briggs.
- "Timothy Briggs". Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin.
- "2008 General Election". Pennsylvania Department of State.
- "2010 General Election". Pennsylvania Department of State.
- "Updated: Mary Jo Daley, Briggs, DeLissio defeat Ludwig, Hamilton, Bateman in Lower Merion (with video)". Main Line Times. November 12, 2012.
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives - Tim Briggs (Democrat) official PA House website
- Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus - Tim Briggs official Party website