Tim Hunter (ice hockey)
September 10, 1960 |
Calgary, AB, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||202 lb (92 kg; 14 st 6 lb)|
|Played for||Calgary Flames
San Jose Sharks
|NHL Draft||54th overall, 1979
Timothy Robert Hunter (born September 10, 1960 in Calgary, Alberta) is an assistant coach for the Washington Capitals of the NHL and a former player. Chosen in the 3rd round of the 1979 NHL Entry Draft (#54 overall) by the then Atlanta Flames, Hunter went on to a 16-year career with the Calgary Flames, Quebec Nordiques, Vancouver Canucks, and San Jose Sharks. He most recently served as an assistant coach with the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs.
Hunter was on the Flames' 1989 Stanley Cup championship team, and also appeared in the Stanley Cup Finals in 1986 with Calgary and in 1994 with Vancouver. During his playing days, Hunter was known for his fierce style of play, ranking him among hockey's unwritten list of elite enforcers during the 1980s and 1990s. He also was a quality defensive player and penalty killer.
Tim Hunter was named as an assistant coach for the Washington Capitals on July 23, 1997, and remained in that position until July 15, 2002. He was named as an assistant coach with the San Jose Sharks on December 6, 2002, and remained in that position through the 2007-08 season. He was named as an assistant coach with the Toronto Maple Leafs on July 22, 2008. He was relieved of his position as assistant coach of the Leafs on June 20, 2011. He was hired as assistant coach of the Capitals again on July 23, 2012.
NHL awards and honours
- NHL Bud Man of the Year (nominee)
- NHL Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy (2-time nominee)
- NHL King Clancy Memorial Trophy (2-time nominee)
- Calgary Flames Ralph T. Scurfield Humanitarian Award (Winner)
- NHL penalty-minutes leader: 1986-87 (Calgary - 361 PIM), 1988-89 (Calgary - 375 PIM)
- NHL Playoffs penalty-minutes leader: 1983 (Calgary - 70 PIM)
- Calgary Flames team record: Most career penalty minutes (2,405)
- Calgary Flames team record: Most penalty minutes in one season (375 in 1988-89)
- Calgary Flames team record: Most penalty minutes in one playoff year (108 in 1986)
- Tim Hunter currently ranks eighth on the NHL's all-time penalty minute leaders list with 3,142.
|1980–81||Nova Scotia Voyageurs||AHL||17||0||0||0||62||6||0||1||1||45|
|1981–82||Oklahoma City Stars||CHL||55||4||12||16||222||—||—||—||—||—|
|1996–97||San Jose Sharks||NHL||46||0||4||4||135||—||—||—||—||—|