Tim Joyce is an American meteorologist and newscaster on Seattle, Washington's Q13(KCPQ)TV station, an affiliate of the Fox television network, and also presents weather and traffic for the Portland, Oregon-based station KRCW (NW32) on the "Portland's Morning News" program, which is part of the nationally-broadcast "Eye Opener" morning program. Previously, he worked at several other television stations, including nine years in the Eugene, Oregon, area and almost seven at the CBS affiliate KOIN, in Portland. Tim Joyce is one of the few openly gay television personalities on-air in the Pacific Northwest.
Joyce was born in Chicago. He attended the University of Kansas, majoring in journalism and also working for campus radio station KJHK-FM while there. Later, while working in Eugene, Oregon, he studied meteorology at Mississippi State University, earning a Certificate of Broadcast Meteorology with advanced standing, in 2003.
Joyce's first job on-air was at KTKA-TV in Topeka, Kansas. In 1995, Joyce moved to Eugene, Oregon, where he worked for KVAL-TV. In 2000, Joyce began working for KMTR-TV in neighboring Springfield. He co-hosted the morning show for the NBC affiliate which became the number-one morning show in the Eugene/Springfield area. He worked as a meteorologist for Portland, Oregon, CBS affiliate KOIN from 2004 until April 2011. In November 2011, he began working at Portland station KRCW (NW32), on its then-new "Portland's Morning News" program. He has also worked for Seattle-based Northwest Cable News.
- "Tim Joyce [biography]". KCPQ. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Schurr, Amanda (November 14, 2011). "100% Certain Monday Forecast: Tim Joyce Returns to Portland TV". Just Out. Archived from the original on May 25, 2012. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Prado, Ryan J. (October 16, 2009). "KOIN-ing an Identity: It’s Sunny Skies for Openly Gay Meteorologist Tim Joyce". Just Out. Archived from the original on January 16, 2010. Retrieved May 12, 2012.
- "Alumni News" (PDF). Monday Memo. University of Kansas School of Journalism. November 13, 2006. p. 3. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 17, 2010. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- "Tim Joyce [biography]". KOIN. February 7, 2008. Retrieved May 12, 2012.
- "Broadcast Meteorology Program – Alumni in Oregon: Joyce, Tim". Mississippi State University. 2010. Retrieved May 12, 2012.
- "KOIN 6 Declines Contract Renewal for Tim Joyce". Just Out. May 6, 2011. Retrieved May 12, 2012.[dead link]
- "NW32TV's Ken Ackerman Debuts On 'Portland's Morning News'". KRCW. November 16, 2011. Retrieved May 12, 2012.
- Interview of Tim Joyce by radio station KBOO, February 2011 (58 minutes)
- Official biography on Q13 website
|This biographical article related to television journalism in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|