||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
|Birth name||Timothy Peter Lambesis|
|Born||November 21, 1980|
|Genres||Metalcore, thrash metal, melodic death metal, death metal|
|Occupations||vocalist, songwriter, record producer, manager|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, trumpet|
|Associated acts||As I Lay Dying, Point of Recognition, Austrian Death Machine, Society's Finest, The Devil Wears Prada, Bleeding Through, War of Ages, Winter Solstice, Pyrithion|
Tim Lambesis (born November 21, 1980) is an American musician, best known as the founding member and lead vocalist of American Christian metalcore band As I Lay Dying. He also has a solo/side thrash metal project in tribute to actor Arnold Schwarzenegger, Austrian Death Machine, in which he performs all the instruments, and he recently formed a death metal band called Pyrithion. He has also played guitar for Society's Finest and Point of Recognition.
Lambesis was arrested on May 7, 2013 after allegedly attempting to have an undercover police officer assassinate his wife. He is currently free on bail, and is due back in court October 22 for arraignment.
Lambesis has stated that he is Christian. During an August 2010 radio interview on The Full Armor of God Broadcast, Lambesis said "I can only really write about what I'm passionate about in life, so naturally my faith, my belief in the teachings of Jesus and His resurrection come across in our lyrics." After Lambesis was arrested for solicitation of murder, the prosecution claimed that Lambesis told his wife in an email that he no longer believes in God. While on bail Lambesis posted on his personal blog that after his incarceration he has been "re-evaluating topics", but it is unclear what those topics are and if they relate to his Christianity. The blog post was taken down shortly after to avoid misinterpretation of the content.
Lambesis married Meggan Murphy in June 2004. They separated in August 2012. Meggan Murphy Lambesis filed papers in San Diego Superior Court in September 2012 seeking a dissolution of their marriage, according to an online court database. They have two daughters and a son all adopted from Ethiopia.
Lambesis is heavily tattooed. His tattoos include a "rocking Jesus," and cyborg Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Koi fish swimming upstream, which represents a quest for meaning and fulfillment, Hebrew writing, a cross, Jesus Christ in clouds, and his largest (completely covering his back), a samurai fighting a tiger, which represents the battle between reason and instinct.
Lambesis grew up in North County. Lambesis was voted "Most Like Jesus" by classmates when he attended Santa Fe Christian School in Solana Beach as a teen. He majored in Religious Studies at Liberty University, a private Christian college that offers classes online.
2013 solicitation of murder arrest
Lambesis was arrested when he “solicited an undercover detective to kill his wife” on May 7, 2013, according to a statement released by the San Diego Sheriff's Department. If found guilty, he could face a prison term of 3 to 9 years in the state of California. On May 9, 2013, Lambesis pled not guilty to a felony charge of solicitation of murder and was ordered held on $3 million bail despite prosecutors deeming Lambesis a "flight risk" and "danger to the public". Lambesis allegedly approached someone at a gym and asked if he knew anyone who would kill his wife. Lambesis allegedly met with the undercover agent posing as a hit man, code name "Red", according to Deputy District Attorney Claudia Grasso. "Red" asked Lambesis if he wanted his wife of eight years gone, and Lambesis allegedly replied, "Yes, that's what I want." He then gave [the] undercover agent an envelope containing $1,000, pictures of his wife, her address, the code to get through a gate of, and the date of when to kill her. Lambesis had allegedly directed the detective he believed to be a hit man to kill his wife while he was with his children so he would have an alibi. Lambesis' bandmates, representatives from management and Metal Blade Records along with band attorney Ian Friedman were in attendance at his arraignment. According to the District Attorney of the case, an audio recording of the transaction between Lambesis and the undercover detective exists and will reportedly come out in the trial. A readiness conference has been set for June 10, 2013 and a preliminary court date has been set for July 10, 2013.
A new bail hearing was held for Lambesis on May 17 in which defense attorney Tom Warwick had bail reduced from $3 million to $2 million, which could not be posted by Lambesis at the time. Lambesis' defense team blamed the plot on the steroid use as part of his weight-lifting regimen. Lambesis is also apparently suffering from steroid withdrawal in jail. He was released on bail on May 30. Lambesis was ordered to wear a GPS monitor, is subject to strict travel restrictions, and must stay away from his wife and three children. As a result, As I Lay Dying's mid-year tour with Killswitch Engage has been cancelled.
- Lead vocals
- With As I Lay Dying
- Beneath the Encasing of Ashes (2001)
- Frail Words Collapse (2003)
- Shadows Are Security (2005)
- A Long March: The First Recordings (2006)
- An Ocean Between Us (2007)
- The Powerless Rise (2010)
- Decas (2011)
- Awakened (2012)
- With Pyrithion
- The Burden of Sorrow EP (2013)
- With Point of Recognition
- Day of Defeat (2002)
- All Instruments
- With Austrian Death Machine
- Total Brutal (2008)
- A Very Brutal Christmas EP (2008)
- Double Brutal (2009)
- Jingle All The Way EP (2011)
- Triple Brutal (2013)
- With Sworn Enemy
- The Beginning of the End – "After the Fall", 2006
- With Winter Solstice
- The Fall of Rome – "To the Nines", 2005
- With Bleeding Through
- Declaration – "Declaration", 2008
- With Evergreen Terrace
- Almost Home – "God Rocky, Is This Your Face?", 2009
- With Impending Doom
- There Will Be Violence – "Orphans", 2010
- With War of Ages
- Eternal – "Desire, 2010"
- Dead Throne – "Constance", 2011
- With Jamey Jasta
- Jasta – "With a Resounding Voice", 2011
- As I Lay Dying – Beneath the Encasing of Ashes
- Destruction of a Rose – Suspended in Time
- Sworn Enemy – The Beginning of the End
- Sworn Enemy – Maniacal
- Sworn Enemy – Total World Domination
- Zao – Awake?
- Impending Doom – The Serpent Servant
- Impending Doom – There Will Be Violence
- Chelsea Grin – Desolation of Eden
- War of Ages – Arise and Conquer
- War of Ages – Eternal
- Molotov Solution – The Harbinger
- Carnifex – Until I Feel Nothing
- ""Comfort Betrays" Songfacts". Songfacts.com. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Independent Music Awards – Past Judges". Independentmusicawards.com. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Gilchrist, Todd. "As I Lay Dying's Tim Lambesis Arrested In Murder-For-Hire Plot - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Interview With Tim Lambesis From As I Lay Dying - in Interviews". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Rock singer's arrest shocks fans | UTSanDiego.com Mobile". M.utsandiego.com. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "As I Lay Dying radio interview". The Full Armor of God Broadcast. Retrieved August 14, 2010.
- "As I Lay Dying frontman Tim Lambesis denies plotting his wife's murder". Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "Tim Lambesis (As I Lay Dying) posts blog update; details time in house arrest awaiting murder trial". altpress.com. July 7, 2013. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- "Band singer arrested for trying to hire out a murder, Sheriff said". San Diego Reader. September 20, 2012. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Heavy metal singer Tim Lambesis arrested in murder-for-hire plot". Whittier Daily News. April 8, 2010. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "As I Lay Dying Interview".
- JULIE WATSON Associated Press AP 7:56 p.m. EDT, May 8, 2013. "Documents: Singer's wife was concerned about behavior changes before murder-for-hire arrest". wdbj7.com. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Heavy metal singer Tim Lambesis arrested in murder-for-hire plot". Reuters. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Singer in Christian band 'As I Lay Dying' hired hitman to kill wife: cops". NY Daily News. November 7, 2012. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "As I Lay Dying Singer Tim Lambesis Arrested in Murder-for-Hire Plot - Yahoo!". Gma.yahoo.com. April 20, 2011. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Mckinley, James C. (November 14, 2007). "Metal Band's Frontman Charged With Attempting to Hire Hit Man - NYTimes.com". Artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "As I Lay Dying Frontman Tim Lambesis Arrested over Plot to Kill Wife". Billboard. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Tim Lambesis - The Beginning". YouTube. February 6, 2013. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Five questions with singer Tim Lambesis of metal band As I Lay Dying". Las Vegas Weekly. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "AS I LAY DYING - Behind The Ink with Tim Lambesis ( Tattoo talk)". YouTube. November 24, 2012. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Garske, Monica. "Bail Lowered to $2M for Accused Metal Singer | NBC 7 San Diego". Nbcsandiego.com. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- "Metal rocker charged with soliciting wife's murder". Fox News. April 8, 2010. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "As I Lay Dying singer Tim Lambesis arrested in murder-for-hire plot". CBS News. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "As I Lay Dying's Tim Lambesis charged with trying to hire hit man". CNN.com. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Martens, Todd. "As I Lay Dying singer Tim Lambesis arrested in murder-for-hire plot". Latimes.com. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "TIM LAMBESIS' AS I LAY DYING Bandmates Comment On His Arrest". Blabbermouth.Net. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Metal singer Tim Lambesis arrested over murder plot". BBC News. May 8, 2013.
- "AS I LAY DYING Frontman Tim Lambesis' Arraignment Set, Sheriff's Dept. Comments On Arrest". May 8, 2013. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Local musician accused in 'murder for hire' case pleads not guilty". May 9, 2013. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Audio of Tim Lambesis allegedly soliciting undercover detective to kill wife exists". May 9, 2013. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Tim Lambesis' bail lowered; steroids blamed". May 17, 2013. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "AS I LAY DYING Frontman Tim Lambesis Released From Custody - Metal Injection | Tim Lambesis Trial". Metal Injection. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Blake, Emily. "As I Lay Dying Singer Tim Lambesis Makes $2 Million Bail, Heads Home - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- 5:31 p.m. "Rocker released after posting $2M bond". UTSanDiego.com. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "As I Lay Dying Singer Tim Lambesis Posts $2M Bail". Associated Press. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "Killswitch Engage Tour Cancellation". As I Lay Dying. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Tim Lambesis' blog
- "As I Lay Dying’s Tim Lambesis Speaks On His Arrest And Current Mindstate In New Update". theprp.com.