Tim McCanlies (born 1953) is a film director and screenwriter. He has attracted attention for his work writing and directing Secondhand Lions, and wrote the screenplays for The Iron Giant and Dennis the Menace Strikes Again.
McCanlies attended high school in Bryan, Texas and took some college level courses at nearby Texas A&M University. In 1971, he moved to Austin and enrolled at the University of Texas majoring in Radio-Television-Film. After a couple of years, McCanlies transferred back to Texas A & M. In 1975, he moved to Dallas where he worked as a police officer and took graduate film classes at Southern Methodist University.
McCanlies worked for Walt Disney Studios in the 1980s since The Fox and the Hound as a story artist and wrote for all the major motion picture studios at one time or another. McCanlies made his directorial debut in his own independently produced feature Dancer, Texas Pop. 81 (1998).
- ^ a b Alison Macor. Chainsaws, Slackers, and Spy Kids 30 Years of Filmmaking in Austin, Texas University of Texas Press: Austin, 2010.
- Andrew Stanton, Joss Whedon, Joel Cohen and Alec Sokolow (1996)
- Rita Hsiao, Chris Sanders, Philip LaZebnik, Raymond Singer and Eugenia Bostwick-Singer (1998)
- Brad Bird and Tim McCanlies (1999)
- John Lasseter, Pete Docter, Ash Brannon, Andrew Stanton, Rita Hsiao, Doug Chamberlin and Chris Webb (2000)
- Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio, Joe Stillman and Roger S. H. Schulman (2001)
- Hayao Miyazaki (2002)
- Andrew Stanton, Bob Peterson and David Reynolds (2003)
- Brad Bird (2004)
- Steve Box, Nick Park and Mark Burton (2005)
- Dick Clement, Ian La Frenais, Christopher Lloyd, Joe Keenan and William Davies (2006)
- Brad Bird (2007)
- Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger (2008)
- Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach (2009)
- Chris Sanders, Will Davies and Dean DeBlois (2010)
- James Ward Byrkit, John Logan and Gore Verbinski (2011)
- Phil Johnston and Jennifer Lee (2012)
- Hayao Miyazaki (2013)
- Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (2014)