Tim Miller (yoga teacher)
Life and work
Miller is the Director of the Ashtanga Yoga Center in Carlsbad, California. Miller was the first American certified by K. Pattabhi Jois to teach Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga and is credited as one of the first to bring Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga to the United States. Vanity Fair (magazine) refers to Miller as one of Jois' "best known students," and The New York Times refers to Miller as "one of the first Ashtanga teachers in United States."
Miller taught at the first Yoga Journal conference from May 3–5, 1996 and has been a frequent speaker and teacher at subsequent events. Miller is known for having an affable, un-intimidating teaching style.
Miller has been head of the Ashtanga Yoga Nilayam, called the Ashtanga Yoga Center in Encinitas, California since 1981. Miller, Trish O'Rielly, and Roger Cole opened the North County Yoga Center in the late 80s, one of the first yoga centers in Los Angeles.
Books & DVDs
- Tim Miller, Ashtanga Yoga at the House of Yoga & Zen on Maui (Jul 13, 2006)
- Sri K. Pattabbi Jois, Ashtanga Yoga, Encinitas, California (Jul 13, 2006)
- Ashtanga Ashtanga Yoga As Taught By Shri K Pattabhi Jois by Larry Schultz and Janice Gates, Forward by Tim Miller (1997)
- Tuesdays with Timji March 29, 2011
- Yoga Journal Magazine Nov 2001: Teacher to Teacher: There's No Place Like Home, Tim Miller and Sarah Powers discuss the pros and cons of attending formal classes versus practicing on your own. By Fernando Pages Ruiz
- Yoga Journal Magazine Mar 2001: Armchair Yogi: Tim Miller
- Yoga Journal Website: Expert Q&A: Easing Ujjayi Breathing by Tim Miller
- Yoga for Men: Postures for Healthy, Stress-Free Living, page 72, By Thomas Claire, ISBN 978-1-56414-665-6
- By N/A (05/19/13 09:21 PM ET EDT). "Whose Yoga Is it, Anyway?". Vanity Fair. Retrieved May 19, 2013. Check date values in:
- By JANE GROSS (February 27, 2004). "JOURNEYS; In the Yucatán: All Yoga, All the Time". The New York Times. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- Yoga Journal Magazine: Jul-Aug 3003: OMPAGE, Talking Shop with Tim Miller
- Yoga Journal Magazine: December 1995: Yoga, Mind, & Spirit at the Hyatt Regency, San Francisco
- Yoga Journal Magazine: Google Books Archives
- San Diego Magazine Jun 2006
- Ashtanga Yoga Center Website: A Brief History of Ashtanga Yoga in Encinitas
- By GREGORY DENNIS (October 3, 1991). "Some New Twists to the Art of Yoga". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 19, 2013.