Tim Murray (archaeologist)
Tim Murray is an Australian archaeologist and Dean of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences at La Trobe University in Melbourne, Australia (2010). He joined the Archaeology department in 1986 as Lecturer. On the retirement of the foundation Chair Professor Jim Allen, Murray was appointed to the Chair of Archaeology in 1995. He has also taught at the University of New South Wales, the University of Sydney, Cambridge University, the University of Leiden (The Netherlands), the Université de Paris I (Panthéon-Sorbonne), the Ecole des hautes etudes en sciences sociales (Paris) and the Institute of Archaeology, University College London. He was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London in 2003 and Fellow of the Academy of the Humanities in Australia  in the same year.
His research interests include the history, philosophy and sociology of archaeology; theoretical archaeology (particularly issues of temporality); contact archaeology; the archaeology of the modern world; heritage issues. He is editor of The Bulletin of the History of Archaeology. 
In Melbourne, he has played prominent roles in developing large scale historical archaeological excavations in urban contexts including the Casselden Place dig,  and recent excavations at the Royal Exhibition Building.
Sir John Lubbock and the foundation of prehistoric archaeology Building Transnational Archaeologies in the Modern World 1750-1950 An Archaeology of Institutional Confinement: the Hyde Park barracks 1848-1886 Traces, Collections, Ruins: Towards a Comparative History of Antiquarianism The Origin and Development of the Tongan Empire Urban Archaeology in Melbourne Exploring the Archaeology of the Modern City Robert Knox, James Hunt, and the Birth of British Archaeology 1810-1865
- Latrobe University Staff Directory http://www.latrobe.edu.au/humanities/about/staff/profile?uname=TAMurray
- The Australian Academy of the Humanities http://www.humanities.org.au/Fellows/Searches/FellowsSearch.asp?whichpage=4&FN=&type=&SN=&Panel=&Disc=8&KW=&Op=AND&Sort=S&Order=A&pagesize=10
- ABC Radio Interview http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2010/03/23/2853639.htm
- About the Casselden Place dig Department of Planning and Community Development http://www.dpcd.vic.gov.au/heritage/projects-and-programs/heritage_stories/Archaeology/casselden-place/about-the-dig
- Royal Exhibition Building, Museum Victoria http://museumvictoria.com.au/reb/about-us/world-heritage-world-futures/videos/22-october-tim-murray/
- Encyclopedia of archaeology, edited by Tim Murray, Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, c1999-2001
- Archaeology from Australia, edited by Tim Murray, Melbourne, Vic. : Australian Scholarly Publishing, 2004. ISBN 1740970632
|This biography of an Australian academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|