Tim Robinson (cartographer)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)|
Tim Robinson (born in 1935) is a writer and cartographer. Born in Yorkshire, he studied mathematics at Cambridge University. After a career as a visual artist in Istanbul, Vienna and London he settled in the Aran Islands, off the coast of Co. Galway, and began a detailed study of the landscape of the West of Ireland. He has won two Irish Book Awards for his Connemara books.
His two-volume study of the Aran Islands, Stones of Aran, is a much-praised compendium of topographical and culture lore, described by Michael Viney as "One of the most original, revelatory and exhilarating works of literature ever produced in Ireland." Stones of Aran: Pilgrimage follows the form of a coastal exploration, while Stones of Aran: Labyrinth explores the interior.
His most recent work has been the publication of a three-volume study of Connemara: Listening to the Wind, A Little Gaelic Kingdom, and The Last Pool of Darkness. He is a member of the Irish arts organisation Aosdána.
Tim Robinson has won two Irish Book Awards: the 2007 Argosy Irish Non-Fiction Book of the Year for Connemara: Listening to the Wind  and the 2011 International Education Services Best Irish-Published Book of the Year for Connemara: A Little Gaelic Kingdom.
- Stones of Aran: Pilgrimage (The Lilliput Press, 1986)
- Connemara: A One-Inch Map, with Introduction and Gazetteer (Folding Landscapes, 1990)
- Stones of Aran: Labyrinth (Lilliput Press, 1995)
- Oileáin Arann: A Map of the Aran Islands, with a Companion to the Map (Folding Landscapes, 1996)
- Setting Foot on the Shores of Connemara (The Lilliput Press, 1996)
- The Burren: A Map of the Uplands of North-West County Clare (Folding Landscapes, 1999)
- My Time in Space (The Lilliput Press, 2001)
- Tales and Imaginings (The Lilliput Press, 2002)
- Connemara: Listening to the Wind (Penguin Ireland, 2006)
- Connemara: The Last Pool of Darkness (Penguin Ireland, 2008)
- Connemara: A Little Gaelic Kingdom (Penguin Ireland, 2011)
- Michael Viney, review of The Stones of Aran, Irish Times.
- Irish Book Awards: Previous Winners
- Irish Book Awards: 2011 Awards
- review of Connemara: Listening to the Wind by Joseph O'Connor, Guardian
- review of Rock of Ages by Robert Macfarlane, Guardian